[spectre] New podcast: conversation with the slovak musician, sound artist, and maker Jonáš Gruska

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 10:34:50 CEST 2020

*New podcast: The slovak musician, sound artist, and maker Jonáš Gruska
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-318-jonas-gruska>* is a proud
amateur, honouring the French origin of the term (to *love* what you do).
Curiosity and passion run through pretty much everything that Gruska
engages in. In our conversation ranging from his site-specific sound
installations to his hand-crafted microphones and audio tools, his recent
interest in mycology, and his playful exploration of the electromagnetic
spectrum, Jonáš used the word 'fascination' quite a lot. We talk to Jonáš
about resonating spaces, resonating surfaces, tramways, self-taught
electronic circuitry, field recordings, fermentation, mushrooms, and
unusual microphones.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-318-jonas-gruska

Jonáš Gruska <https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-318-jonas-gruska> is a
proud amateur, honouring the French origin of the term (to *love* what you
do). Curiosity and passion run through pretty much everything that Gruska
engages in. In our conversation ranging from his site-specific sound
installations to his hand-crafted microphones and audio tools, his recent
interest in mycology, and his playful exploration of the electromagnetic
spectrum, Jonáš used the word 'fascination' quite a lot, and for good
reason. Curiosity and passion may indeed be the glue that holds together
all the facets of his rather diverse artistic pursuits: the invisible
thread that connects, say, electret microphone design to data sonification
and oyster mushrooms. These interests and many more overlap in LOM,
Gruska’s record label, audio equipment manufacturer, sound laboratory and
public space in Bratislava, which emerged and gradually mutated from a punk
DIY ethos, and is now a well established platform for sound experimentation
and beyond.

Music by Jonáš Gruska. This podcast is part of Re-Imagine Europe, co-funded
by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union.

*E/N/J/O/Y/*