[spectre] New podcast: conversation with poet, essayist and editor Charles Bernstein

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 09:48:48 CEST 2021

*New podcast: conversation with Charles Bernstein*
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-327-charles-bernstein>

*"I’m interested not in the oral but in the aural. I use the expression in
an essay a/orality, to put emphasis on what the ear hears."*

Charles Bernstein is a poet, essayist, editor, and professor emeritus at
the University of Pennsylvania. Together with Bruce Andrews, he edited the
magazine L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E, which gave its name to a movement of more than a
hundred poets interested in the radical exploration of writing that
flourished in the late 1970s and the 1980s on both the east and west coasts
of the United States. In this podcast, we hear Charles Bernstein think
aloud about the performativity of poetry and the multiplicity of voice,
elaborating on questions such as the sound of writing, presence and
absence, orality, aurality and a/orality. Along the way, Bernstein recounts
his first textual experience and acknowledges the influence of Artaud, Bob
Wilson and the Living Theatre in shaping him as a poet. We also revisit the
early discussions of the L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E constellation, their policy of
exchanging poems and essays by setting up horizontal cultural mechanisms,
and a collaborative effort to reread poets from past decades in order to
write an alternative, non-hegemonic history of American poetry.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-327-charles-bernstein

*E/N/J/O/Y/*

*+*

*TAKE CARE!*