[spectre] ACI-Surfing with... Aseel AlYaqoub - 24.02.2021 6pm (CET) / 8 pm (AST)

Pierre Wolter piewo at art-claims-impulse.com
Tue Feb 23 07:48:07 CET 2021

Dear All.

We would like to invite you to our *ACI-Surfing with... Aseel AlYaqoub
-  24.02.2021 6pm (CET) / 8 pm (AST).
*

*Link for Live-Stream*
<https://art-claims-impulse.com/en/surfing-with-en/aci-livestream>

https://art-claims-impulse.com/en/surfing-with-en/aci-livestream

This time we will have an insight into Kuwaiti society from the
perspective of a Kuwaiti artist. A very exciting topic, considering the
special role Kuwait plays in the Gulf region, due to its turbulent
history triggered by decolonization and the invasion of Iraqi troops and
the resulting second Gulf War.

Aseel AlYaqoub (b. 1986, Kuwait) is an artist who works across the
disciplines of history, architecture and cultural identity theory. Her
practice is concerned with themes of nationhood, state apparatuses and
collective nostalgia to discern why some historical elements fit well
within the national narrative whilst others are deliberately forgotten.
Using an ever-growing collection of found objects, documents and media,
her work explores the construct of new nations such as Kuwait. Through
video, drawing, installation and printmaking, she documents the nation’s
processes of self-identification and state-making – that happened within
pressure-cooker conditions – post-imperial dissolution and re-attachment.

Kind regards,

ACI

Art Claims Impulse

--