[spectre] 'When I Look Through My Browser Window I Can Feel the Fresh Air' at CIVA Festival

Marijn Bril marijn.bril at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:17:37 CET 2021

Dear Spectre!

Last Friday Vienna's new media festival CIVA <http://www.civa.at/>
(Contemporary
Immersive Virtual Art) launched online. From the 19th till the 27th of
February, the virtual festival features an exhibition, talks, workshops,
podcasts, films, and music. Under the title “Social Distancing – Virtual
Bonding,” CIVA in 2021 explores the question of whether and how current
technologies enable us to remain connected to each other on a virtual level
in times of physical distancing or even to build new international networks
and communities.

I’m excited to share one of the online discourse programs, live tomorrow,
(Thursday, February 25th) via twitch.tv/civa_at:

*When I Look Through My Browser Window I Can Feel the Fresh Air*From
wildlife live streams, the iconic Windows XP Bliss wallpaper, to the
afterlife of animals on the internet, nature is just a click away. Overly
saturated and in full HD, or pixelated and lagging live streams, what kind
of new meanings are formed in these nature representations and simulations?
Networked image culture brings us closer to faraway landscapes, yet
creating new distances to be bridged. More than found footage of pristine
wilderness, the nature image is socially and technologically constructed.
Bringing together artistic and discursive perspectives, you’re invited to
experience nature safely behind the glass of your computer screens.

Through video essays, a workshop, a guided walk, and a panel discussion we
will critically explore notions of browser-based nature. The program
features contributions by Jean Baptiste Castel
<https://www.tumblr.com/login_required/c-a-s-t-e-l>, Astrid Feringa
<https://astridferinga.com/>, Benjamin Earl
<https://www.bnjmnearl.eu/>, Salvador
Miranda <http://www.salvadormiranda.com/>, Deborah Mora
<https://deborahmora.net/>, Théophile Blandet <http://theophileblandet.com/>
, Sylke van der Heiden <https://www.sylkevanderheiden.com/>, and Anna Fink
<https://www.annafink.eu/> – and is curated by me
<http://www.marijnbril.work/>.

*When I Look Through My Browser Window I Can Feel the Fresh
Air**Date/Time:* Thursday,
February 25th, 14.00–18.00 CET

14.00–15.15 CET Opening and Video Essays
15.15–16.00 CET Online Wildlife Watching Workshop
16.00–16.30 CET Break and Guided Walk
16.30–18.00 CET Panel: The Nature Image, On Production, Representation, and
Networks

More info about the schedule via www.civa.at/timetable

*Location:* twitch.tv/civa_at

Would love to see you in the chat!