[spectre] Radio Web MACBA - Most listened podcasts October 2021

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:30:40 CET 2021

*Radio Web MACBA <https://rwm.macba.cat/en> - Most listened podcasts
October 2021*

*1- Chris Cutler: "*The constant has always been that musical forms and
musical instruments have evolved together. In fact they form an ecology."

In PROBES #31  <https://rwm.macba.cat/en/research/probes-31>we begin to
consider evolutionary pressures and invented instruments and follow the
twists and turns that led the xylophone out of Asia and Africa, spun it
around the world and metamorphosed it into the vibraphone; with a coda from
the *intonarumori*.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/research/probes-31

*2- Aho Ssan:* “The first time I went to Africa I was ten years old. The
first thing I wanted to do was to find my grandpa's trumpet. (...)
Unfortunately we never found the trumpet (and I am still looking for it).
This whole story was the starting point from my album ‘Simulacrum’. I am
still looking for heritage.”

In this podcast we talk to Aho Ssan
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-339-aho-ssan> about his grandfather’s
lost trumpet and about an Ivory Coast jazz band that’s impossible to track
down. Along the way, we share the cinematic tension of his debut LP
*Simulacrum* and the various routes that led him there. Techno’s cultural
appropriation, Black Bandcamp, and the glaring lack of representation of
black artists in global electronica are part of the road he has travelled
and the lessons learnt along the way.
Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-339-aho-ssan

*3- Andrea Ballestero:* "La piedrita en el zapato es esa pregunta que
siempre debe mantenerse en la parte de atrás de nuestro pensamiento cuando
estamos haciendo cosas. Preguntarnos si estamos demasiado enamoradas y
enamorados, demasiado ilusionados, demasiado felices con una idea, con una
metodología, y qué pasa con lo que, inherentemente, es excluido por esa
metodología o por esa idea." *(only available in Spanish)*

We talk to Andrea Ballestero
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-338-andrea-ballestero> about aquifers
and amorphous futures, about imagination as an essential part of the
academic research process, and about the potential of bureaucratic
practices as cogs in a possible machinery of change—which does not
necessarily have to involve large-scale global transformations. We also
talk about how to redirect collective energy to the present as a way of
securing a more equitable future, through mundane and everyday actions that
have direct, tangible consequences.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-338-andrea-ballestero

*4- Luz Pichel:* “Yo no sabía que tenía una lengua hasta que esa lengua me
dolió. Dolía cuando veías que la maestra, que era la autoridad, y el cura,
que era la otra autoridad, hablaban castellano. Y nosotros, los campesinos,
los de abajo, hablábamos gallego. Naces asociando tu lengua a un concepto
de clase.” *(only available in Spanish)*

In this podcast we talk to Luz Pichel
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-336-luz-pichel>about languages that
ache in the body and about the poetry that returns this pain to the world
in the form of a challenge. Between readings of her poems and first-person
stories, we reflect on the margins of voice and language, the class
conflict that Spanish-Galician “Castrapo” reveals, the danger of giving
voice to the voiceless, Galician migration, and the displaced status of
writers.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-336-luz-pichel

*5- Aura Cumes: *"Con la organización colonial se inventa lo indio como una
manera de negar la pluralidad existente de todos los pueblos que habitaban
lo que hoy se llamaría Mesoamérica o Abya Yala, para ser nombrados bajo la
identidad impuesta de “indios”. Y lo indio no es solamente una etiqueta
vacía de contenido, sino que es entendido como ese sujeto que va a existir
solamente a partir de la servidumbre colonial." *(only available in
Spanish)*

Aura Cumes <https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-297-aura-cumes>is a Maya
Kaqchikel researcher, teacher, writer, and activist from Guatemala. Her
defense of the social and political rights of indigenous peoples is based
on dismantling the three major systems of domination, plunder, and
expropriation that have been used to subjugate Latin American societies
since the 16th century: colonialism, capitalism, and patriarchy. In this
podcast, Aura Cumes talks about the ontological multiplicity that stems
from the "Popol Vuh", the sacred book of the Maya; she discusses the
particularities of the struggles of indigenous women, who cannot simply add
their own demands to those of white feminism which reproduces the scourges
of colonial racism; and she recounts some of the resistance strategies
being used by the Maya peoples –particularly Maya women– to defend their
lands, their natural resources, and their ways of life.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-297-aura-cumes

*+ Warm goodbye to the painter, sculptor, printmaker, poet and street
artist Robert Janz (1932-2021)
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-233-robert-janz>, who passed away
last week. A charming soul that really touched us. RIP*

"When I began, en las rocas de Almería, I made water drawings on the rocks.
And then, after, I was living in the city for a while and I thought: these
tall buildings are my mountains. La calle es mi valle. Estos pequeños side
streets son mi caverna. Estas noticias y graffittis son las paredes de mis
cuevas. Y entonces empecé a hacer cosas en la calle."

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-233-robert-janz

*Stay strong!*