[spectre] (re)programming: Community - Astra Taylor in conversation with Marta Peirano

marcela at aksioma.org marcela at aksioma.org
Sun Oct 17 18:41:04 CEST 2021

Dear friends,

we’d love to read your questions and comments in the live chat tomorrow during the 7th episode of the (re)programming series of conversations!

(re)programming – Strategies for Self-Renewal
Curated and conducted by Marta Peirano
February–November 2021

STREAM #7
(re)programming: Community
Talk to Your Neighbours
With Astra Taylor

Monday, 18 October 2021 at 7 PM CET

STREAMING & LIVE CHAT: http://aksioma.org/reprogramming/
FB event <https://fb.me/e/1Rh6wj2Az>

-----
How can we act collectively in an age of extreme polarisation, isolation, dehumanisation and dystopian imagination? What can we build from the ashes of the Arab Spring, the Indignados movement and Occupy Wall Street?

Astra Taylor knows there is no such thing as a perfect social movement, but in a series of legendary attempts to improve existing ones, she has become one of the essential chroniclers of contemporary acts of collective resistance. Ever since publishing Occupy!, a “semi-regular, forty-page tabloid newspaper inspired by the Occupy movement”, she has been engaged in a lifelong debate about the nature of community-driven power, pushing its limits and analyzing its discontents.

Astra is an international filmmaker, writer and relentless political organiser, hailed as the “New Civil Rights Leader” by the Los Angeles Times. She has directed philosophical documentaries such as What is Democracy? <https://www.whatisdemocracy.info/>  (2019), Examined Life <https://zeitgeistfilms.com/film/examinedlife>  (2008) and Žižek! <https://zeitgeistfilms.com/film/zizek>  (2005). Her latest book Democracy May Not Exist, but We'll Miss It When It's Gone  <https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250231284/> (2019) was published by Metropolitan Books.

Special guests: Tjaša Pureber, Barbara Rajgelj, Asja Hrvatin

-----

About the series
The tenth edition of Tactics  <https://aksioma.org/reprogramming/> & Practice: (re)programming is a festival of conversations with world-class thinkers in crucial disciplines that discuss the ways in which we can repair our thought and behavioural patterns in order to keep us collectively safe. The program is led and curated online by Marta Peirano. Watch previous episodes:

- Kim Stanley Robinson: Trigger: What Does it Take to Change the Future? <https://aksioma.org/reprogramming/trigger/>
- Benjamin Bratton: Infrastructure: An Alternative Earth <https://aksioma.org/reprogramming/infrastructure/>
- Holly Jean Buck: Energy: Can We Repair the Climate? <https://aksioma.org/reprogramming/energy/>
- Anab Jain: Interdependence: Post-Human Politics <https://aksioma.org/reprogramming/interdependence/>
- Kate Crawford: AI: Better Machines for Better Humans <https://aksioma.org/reprogramming/ai/>

- Joana Moll: The Cloud: Everything is Not Connected <https://aksioma.org/reprogramming/cloud/>

-----

Organised and produced by: Aksioma <https://aksioma.org/>  – Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana
In partnership with: Kino Šiška – Centre for Urban Culture
For the series: Tactics  <https://aksioma.org/tactics.practice> & Practice
In the framework of: konS <https://kons-platforma.org/en/>  – Platform for Contemporary Investigative Art

The project konS – Platform for Contemporary Investigative Art was chosen on the public call for the selection of the operations “Network of Investigative Art and Culture Centres”. The investment is co-financed by the Republic of Slovenia and by the European Regional Development Fund of the European Union.

Outreach partners: Disruption Network Lab, Drugo more, FILE – Electronic Language, International Festival, Furtherfield, La Gaîté Lyrique, IMPAKT [Centre for Media Culture], The Influencers, Institute of Network Cultures, Interface Cultures | Kunstuniversität Linz, MKC Maribor, Neural, ∏Node, Založba Sophia, Supermarkt, We Make Money Not Art.