[spectre] INTER/her by Camille Baker shortlisted for Lumen Prize - hosted at Access Space until 8th October

Jake Harries jakeharries at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 14:14:27 CEST 2021

INTER/her, a multi-sensory, immersive art installation by Camille Baker,
https://access-space.org/portfolio/inter-her-a-multi-sensory-immersive-art-installation-that-takes-you-inside-the-womb/

Dates: Weds 15 Sept – Fri 8 Oct 2021
Opening times: 11:00 and 18:00 Monday to Friday
Access Space at the Food Hall, (opposite the Site Gallery), 62 Brown
Street, Sheffield, S1 4RF

Short listed for the 2021 Lumen Prize 3D/Interactive Award
https://www.lumenprize.com/2021-3d/interactive-shortlist

“We need more work like this telling women’s stories…Fantastic.” Visitor
feedback

“My first experience of VR and I loved it!” Visitor feedback

Artist Camille Baker’s new work INTER/her is a unique immersive artwork
created using Virtual Reality, sound, and haptic experience to present a
multilayered narrative which uses women’s individual stories to generate a
collective voice that speaks of the impact of ill-health and disease of the
female reproductive system.

The work has been developed with an all-woman primary team, with
electronics and programming support from Paul Hayes with Andy Baker (final
coding): Interaction designer Maf’j Alverez helped Baker design the overall
environment, and concept artist Sarah Büttner developed the flower objects
in the visual environment. Fashion designer Bushra Burge worked with her to
develop fashion element of the haptic belt and electronics design, and
sound artist Kat Austen designed the sound experience.

“I found the experience quite moving. It’s the first time a digital artwork
has had this effect on me.” Visitor feedback

Interview on Soundcloud with Camille Baker about the INTER/her installation
https://soundcloud.com/accessspace/camille-interview-inter-her-installation

Baker said: “The INTER/her project comes directly from my own experience in
fighting – and winning – against ovarian cancer throughout 2016 and 2017.
This intense battle gave me the imperative to make something personal
through my art practice; to give something back to other women, based upon
my own experiences and journey through the healthcare system. “ The ideas
and development of the work emanate from experiencing women’s silence,
conflicting information, and inconsistencies in support for women’s health.

The metaphor of journeying into the body echoes the experience of
journeying through the system designed to provide healthcare. Employing a
haptic belt worn by each viewer, sensations are felt on the body, which are
triggered by the stories that play through the surround-sound audio inside
the installation, which takes the form of a bespoke domed tent in the
centre of the gallery space. Through this transference of physical
sensation, viewers can share in an experience of the body that may resonate
with theirs, or with the experiences of women they know.

Visitors can share their personal experiences afterwards and record them if
they wish.

Artist’s website https://inter-her.art

Dates: Weds 15 September – Fri 8 October 2021

Opening times: 11:00 and 18:00 Monday to Friday

Tickets are £5.80 each. Please book here:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/interher-intimate-immersive-journey-inside-the-female-body-tickets-148940036659

Pre-booking advised but not required, 40 minute slots are available for up
to 3 people from the same family or support bubble. Cleaning will take
place between sessions.

Enquiries: jake at access-space.org

Tel 07471 120449

--

All the best
Jake

Jake Harries, Director of Arts and Innovation
www.access-space.org  +44(0)7471120449
@accessspace facebook.com/accessspace
jake at access-space.org