[spectre] FWD: E. Satjukow: Towards a History of Deep Europe: Revisiting Internet Culture in Times of War

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Tue Aug 23 16:30:44 CEST 2022

"Towards a History of Deep Europe: Revisiting Internet Culture in Times
of War"

Elisa Satjukow

Within the last two decades, the Internet has become one of, if not the
most important medium for gathering information and facilitating
communication in times of war and crisis. By drawing on the example of
the Kosovo War in 1999, which is often described as the “the First
Internet War”, this essay shows how the World Wide Web did not only
serve as an important tool of information, communication and
intervention, but also how it functioned as an archive for the
individual and collective experiences of war. In analysing the virtual
archive of the Syndicate and the Nettime mailing lists, I show how media
artists and activists contributed to the idea of Deep Europe as an
imagined (online) community which overcomes the binaries of ‘East’ and
‘West’, a community which experienced its first major rupture during the
Kosovo War. Not only do I discuss how, at the time, the Internet served
as a form of shelter in times of crisis, in the face of censorship and
cyberwarfare, but also as an emerging social platform, sharing reports
on everyday events, war diaries and video material, providing historians
with new and valuable sources for contemporary European history. Lastly,
contributing to the field of digital humanities, I discuss the potential
and the challenges of Deep Europe and the Digital East.

read the full article: www.europa.clio-online.de/essay/id/fdae-114816

on Themenportal Europäische Geschichte, 2022