[spectre] a terrible day

Raivo Kelomees offline at online.ee
Fri Feb 25 12:00:32 CET 2022

Hello all,

Just to answer your sentence Mathias Fuchs: "The Capitalist West has
expanded zones of monetary interest and of military influence towards
the East since 1991. NATO countries are at the border of Russia."

You write like here, in the East, is some sort of desert or swamp where
NATO entered. You can assume that it could be the peoples will here as
well to join NATO, or in fact any non-Russian protective military power,
which is the way to detach yourself from your neighbor. Why? The
historic experience living in this corner of Europe (Estonia, and
probably all Baltic) has shown consistency of behavior of our neighbor
Russia through the centuries. It wants to "expand" their borders as
their is constantly some "threat" from outside. This induced paranoia
prevails their leaders. The NATO provides opportunity to move "further"
into West, to build stronger walls and protect nations living here. As
the experience being alone we have had already in the 1930ies.

What concerns war in Ukraine, then mostly Putin is responsible. You are
underestimating personal traits of autocrats which influences their
decisions. My impression after seeing the meeting of defense board and
hearing that parliament allowed to use military force outside the
Russia, that there is no parliament and collective leadership in Russia
anymore. There is no alternative opinions among decision makers. You can
call it new Stalinism or reincarnation of it, but the fact is that some
grim times are ahead. It is similar as during Soviet time, except the
official power is Russia is much more "intelligent", which means they
let to exist few alternative channels (with the label "foreign agent"),
allowing to release steam, but all other society is fed by official TV news.

best regards

Raivo

Tallinn

Raivo Kelomees