[spectre] a terrible day

Arkadiusz Półtorak arkadiusz.poltorak at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:34:38 CET 2022

Just a quick reminder to all that complain about NATO propaganda - NATO is
not a monolithic political entity. It is an alliance and thus, by
definition, it includes representatives of united but incongruous bodies.
To equate NATO with the United States and present it in a perfectly
symmetrical relation to Russia - or, if you prefer, Putin's regime - is not
a "nuanced" account of the situation. Quite the opposite - it is a binary
representation of the geopolitical scene, in which the voice of Central
European countries like Poland, Slovakia or Lithuania is neatly voided.
Although I am not the greatest fan of military organizations (to say the
least), it is difficult for me to imagine how countries in our region could
maintain their relative safety and sovereignty without adhering to the
alliance in question. To think that dissolution of NATO right after the end
of the Cold War would have prevented Russia from imperial expansion is - to
me - a wishful thought, and I encourage everyone to try to shed the Cold
War binaries, and view the current situation through the eyes of Ukrainians
and its neighbours.
Best,