[spectre] Book launch FOLLOWING THE ELEPHANT-NOSED FISH.

mail at susannahertrich.com mail at susannahertrich.com
Tue May 3 17:38:58 CEST 2022

Dear spectre community,

// Sorry, for cross-posting //

I am happy to announce the printed version of our book!

Susanna Hertrich / Shintaro Miyazaki
FOLLOWING THE ELEPHANT-NOSED FISH.
REIMAGINING OUR SENSORIUM
–

120 pages
14 × 21 cm
paperback
english

DIAMONDPAPER
2022
ISBN 978-3-9817925-5-3

15 €

https://diamondpaper.de/title_32

Read the book online or download free PDF:
https://doi.org/10.26254/med/6301

This book presents an artistic research project called “Sensorium of
Animals” that comprises media archaeological studying, technological
experimentation, an art installation, and two short films. The project
was conducted by Susanna Hertrich and Shintaro Miyazaki from 2016 to
2019 at the Critical Media Lab, Institute of Experimental Design and
Media Cultures, at the Academy of Art and Design FHNW in Basel,
Switzerland.

We were inspired by the elephant-nose fish’s sensory ecology – a species
that can make sense of its environment through self-generated
electromagnetic (EM) fields. We intertwined this fish’s cyborgian, even
electronics-like trait with the seemingly immaterial worlds of our
signal-based information technologies. We wanted to ask if it could be
possible to engineer and cultivate the EM sense similar to that of the
elephant-nose fish for the human sensory apparatus? What kind of future
society would unfold through the design of such altered sensory
capabilities? Or conversely, what kind of society would develop the
necessity for such sensory capabilities?

The book mirrors this interdisciplinary research’s different approaches
and divides itself into several parts. Part one presents itself in a
twofold way a theory-poetry (a rhapsody) and a theory-fiction (a short
fictional scenario of our future). Part two is an in-depth theoretical
exploration of the research project and its contexts. This part also
features selected project documentation, such as a selection of images,
exhibition views and video stills showing the objects, graphics, and
diagrams we created.

—
FOLLOWING THE ELEPHANT-NOSED FISH.
REIMAGINING OUR SENSORIUM