[spectre] Goldsmiths Media: 'The Future of Media' book launch, 5pm Thursday 27 October

Joanna Zylinska jo.zylinska at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 11:35:56 CEST 2022

Dear All,

The Department of Media, Communications and Cultural Studies at
Goldsmiths have the pleasure of inviting you to the launch of our book,
/The Future of Media/, co-edited by us and Joanna Zylinska, and
published by Goldsmiths Press. The event takes place at *5pm on Thursday
27 October *and will start with a roundtable discussion on the future of
media, featuring many of the contributors to the book, who include Daisy
Asquith, Lisa Blackman, Clea Bourne, NG Bristow, James Burton, Sarah
Cefai, Sue Clayton, Sean Cubitt, James Curran, Natalie Fenton, Des
Freedman, Gholam Khiabany, Sandra van Lente, Richard MacDonald, Mirca
Madianou, Mathapelo Mofokeng, David Morley, Anamik Saha, Richard
Shannon, Daniel Strutt, Milly Williamson and the book’s co-editor Joanna
Zylinska.

The roundtable will be followed by a Q&A and drinks.

The event will take place on the Goldsmiths campus in LG02 of the
Professor Stuart Hall building.

We hope to see many friends, collaborators and students past and present
there!

Best wishes

Goldsmiths Media

More details at https://www.gold.ac.uk/calendar/?id=14029
<https://www.gold.ac.uk/calendar/?id=14029>

***

Here is a description of the book’s content:

How do we combat post-truth in the news? Are social media influencers
the journalists of today? What is it like to live in a smart city? Does
AI really change ‘everything’? /The Future of Media/investigates the
future of media industries and technologies (journalism, TV, film,
photography, radio, publishing, social media), while exploring how media
shape our future – on a political, economic, cultural and individual
level. Issues of diversity, media reform, labour, activism and art take
the discussion into a wider social context. Through this, the book
celebrates the importance and vitality of media in the modern world.
/The Future of Media/ is also an experiment in collaborative modes of
thinking and working. Co-authored by theorists and practitioners from
one of the world’s most established media departments and their
collaborators, it offers a radical, creative and critical take on media
industries – and on world affairs.

An open-access version of the book can be downloaded from the GRO
repository [click on the download button]:

https://research.gold.ac.uk/id/eprint/31658/
<https://research.gold.ac.uk/id/eprint/31658/>

If you like the book, we hope you will be able to support Goldsmiths
Press by ordering a paper copy for yourself and/or your library, via
their distributor, MIT Press:

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/future-media
<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/future-media>

The book also has a companion website, featuring practice works engaging
with the future of media:

https://www.golddust.org.uk/futureofmedia
<https://www.golddust.org.uk/futureofmedia>

--
Joanna Zylinska
Professor of Media Philosophy + Critical Digital Practice

http://www.joannazylinska.net