[spectre] Newsletter 19-26 September: IN-PROGRESS… | COLLOQUIUM: Margherita Pevere & Dolores Steinman; Soy Division: Kentanggung; Martin Howse: Mycelium Radio

Art Laboratory Berlin presse at artlaboratory-berlin.org
Mon Sep 19 13:52:59 CEST 2022

Registration required for all events: https://artlaboratory-berlin.org/events/

View this email in your browser (https://mailchi.mp/e6eaf2d22a01/hack-the-panke-festival-continues-12143261?e=572b364056)
Logo

** IN-PROGRESS… | COLLOQUIUM

Research in Art, Science and Humanities

With Margherita Pevere and Dolores Steinman
Für die deutsche Version hier klicken (https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=80a5b67e6a&e=572b364056)

Tue, 20 September 2022, 8 pm CET

This time only online, Registration required for access! No fee.

Art Laboratory Berlin is delighted to invite you to take part in our discursive format – a colloquium on research in art, science and humanities, curated by Regine Rapp (next to our Reading Club, curated by Tuçe Erel).

The Colloquium (on 20 September it will be entirely online) addresses an international interdisciplinary research audience to present and discuss past, present or future projects by artists and scholars, curators or editors from the fields of art, science and the humanities. The topics could refer to an art project, a book, text or chapter, a research or exhibition project, a lab experiment, a lecture series, a conference concept or other.

The presentations and exchange will focus on the work-in-progress. Methodological approaches – theoretical or practical – are also of great interest here. While researching, we often tend to shift between practical inquiry and theoretical research, browsing various disciplines. Following the original meaning of colloquium as “speaking together”, we want to provide a platform for exchange and embrace various kinds of work processes which are often not seen or talked about.

Structure of the sessions: Each session will include two presentations followed by discussions, altogether 90 min. The colloquium welcomes informal conversations amongst the participants.

Speakers on 20 September Session

Margherita Pevere | Vulnerable Materials across Environment and Embodiment

Margherita Pevere is an internationally acknowledged artist and researcher working across biological arts and performance with a distinctive visceral signature. Her practice hybridizes biotechnology, ecology, queer and death studies to create arresting installations and performances that trail today’s ecological complexity. Her body of work is a blooming garden crawling with genetically edited bacteria, cells, sex hormones, microbial biofilm, blood, slugs, growing plants and decomposing remains. With Marco Donnarumma and Andrea Familari, she co-founded the artists’ group Fronte Vacuo. She is member of the Finnish Bioart Society, of The Queer Death Studies Network and of The Posthumanities Hub. Margherita has been part of various series, conferences and exhibition at Art Laboratory Berlin, such as the Nonhuman Agents (https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=8999a75de2&e=572b364056) (2017) or the The Camille Diaries. New Artistic Positions on M/Otherhood, Life and Care
(https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=6e57efec5d&e=572b364056) (2020). www.margheritapevere.com, https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=5d3175d843&e=572b364056

In the Colloquium Margherita will talk about her work with vulnerable materials across environment and embodiment.

Dolores Steinman | Altered Emotive Memory through Interactions and Interdisciplinary Collaboration

Dr. Dolores Steinman was trained as a Pediatrician and, upon relocating to Canada, obtained her PhD in Cell Biology. Currently she is a retired Senior Research Associate in the Biomedical Simulation Laboratory, University of Toronto (UofT), and was part of an interdisciplinary team, also affiliated with the Ontario College of Art and Design University (OCADU). Following her training in the Visual Arts Department at Western University (London, ON), she also volunteered Docent at the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). In her new research, as part of the A.R.E. artist collective, Dolores is searching new ways of communicating to and with the patient through introspection, subjective examination of the post-pandemic state-of-mind and the role played by art in the ever-evolving circumstances in which we find ourselves. https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=874553fb11&e=572b364056

In the Colloquium Dolores will talk about a project in progress connected to A.R.E., relating to the many intricate ways in which emotive memory can alter and be altered through interactions and interdisciplinary collaboration (another project deals with death from the most mundane to the scientific, through myth, tradition and connection with the ancestral past).

The colloquium takes place every 6 weeks.

The colloquium meetings in 2022: 1 March, 12 April, 7 June, 12 July, 20 September, 8 November, 6 December (the last is an event of colloquium and reading club together)
Register for more information (https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=b9c5358627&e=572b364056)

** PANKE INTERVENTIONS

Ketanggung

Workshop & Lecture | Ariel Orah and Michelle Lai (Soydivision)
Für die deutsche Version hier klicken (https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=090fe11f98&e=572b364056)

Date: 23.09.2022,
Workshop: 15:00 - 18:30
Lecture Performance: 19:00

8 / 5 (reduced) Euro.

Kentang / Tanggung:

In the Bahasa language kentang means potatoes, while tanggung can define a plethora of words: to hold responsibility, to bear, to assure, to be half-hearted, to be awkward and to guarantee. Tracing the historical, migratory pathways undertaken by the spud, we propose an ode to the potato, this participatory research workshop explores the spectre of histories and imaginations that the potato, as a seed of desire and delight contains.

In the first part of the workshop (“Planting”) we will gather to plant potatoes and reflect about the myths of potatoes, its stories, folklores and rhymes, as well as share anecdotes about the potato. In the second part (“Observing”) we will explore the potato from a microscopic point of view and also discuss toxicities and neutralising potatoes. And in the third part (“Showing”) the workshop invites the participants to enjoy a potato cooking session, which continues with a performance lecture and eating session later on.

Soydivision Berlin is a performing arts collective made up of Indonesians living in Berlin and positions itself at the intersection of art and activism. and activism. Soydivision has curated performances, organised workshops workshops, culinary art activities, film screenings and discussions. Their diasporic perspective offers an alternative approach to contemporary issues through art and invites issues through art and invites a new kind of dialogue and engagement.

Ariel William Orah is a sound artist, performer and curator. As part of his artistic practice, Orah works with various sound media, techniques and formats such as sound art, sound installation, sound performance, sound workshop, sound setting and sound composition for film and theater. . He is co-founder of the empathy-driven sound artist collective L-KW, the Berlin-based Indonesian contemporary art collective SOYDIVISION.BERLIN, and the non-profit arts and culture organization Diantara e.V.

Michelle Lai is an urban agricultural practitioner and forager from Singapore. She is a part of collective TANAH, which stands for soil, earth or land in Bahasa. It is an interdisciplinary collective engaged in the spaces around us. Through nature and food related interventions, research and dialogue, TANAH explores symbiotic relationships and forms of everyday participation.

https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=c2ae416518&e=572b364056

Register for more information (https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=32fc5d3407&e=572b364056)

PANKE INTERVENTIONS Festival is supported by BEZIRKSKULTURFONDS MITTE

** HACK THE PANKE Festival

** Mycelium Radio

** Workshop and Performance | Martin Howse
Für die deutsche Version hier klicken (https://artlaboratory-berlin.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3a6fe4a9bb743dd155d72a6a2&id=bacdc8b63b&e=572b364056)