[spectre] CFP: Symposium: Revising art stories in search of potential changes (Lisbon, 6-7 Dec 23)

Andreas Broeckmann andreas.broeckmann at leuphana.de
Thu Feb 9 07:31:42 CET 2023

From: Basia Sliwinska
Date: Feb 8, 2023
Subject: CFP: Revising art stories in search of potential
changes   (Lisbon, 6-7 Dec 23)

Lisbon, Dec 6–7, 2023
Deadline: Mar 31, 2023

The lost-and-found: revising art stories in search of potential changes.

International Symposium.

This is a call for contributions for an International Symposium
envisaged as a series of three events in three locations: Lisbon,
Warsaw, Riga.

The first event will take place at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa,
Lisbon, Portugal, December 6-7, 2023. The following events (call for
contributions will be published over the course of 2023) will take place
in Warsaw, March 2024, and in Riga June 2024.

It is envisaged that selected contributions from the symposium will be
developed into either an edited book or a special issue of a
peer-reviewed journal.

HERE WE INVITE TO SUBMIT PROPOSALS FOR THE FIRST EVENT IN LISBON.

THEME

I lost a few goddesses while moving south to north,
and also some gods while moving east to west.
I let several stars go out for good, they can't be traced.
An island or two sank on me, they're lost at sea.
I'm not even sure exactly where I left my claws,
who's got my fur coat, who's living in my shell.
My siblings died the day I left for dry land
and only one small bone recalls that anniversary in me.
I've shed my skin, squandered vertebrae and legs,
taken leave of my senses time and again.
I've long since closed my third eye to all that,
washed my fins of it and shrugged my branches.

Gone, lost, scattered to the four winds. It still surprises me
how little now remains, one first person sing, temporarily
declined in human form, just now making such a fuss
about a blue umbrella left yesterday on a bus.

Wisława Szymborska A Speech at the Lost-And-Found (1972)

(from Wisława Szymborska Poems New and Collected (1998) trans. Stanisław
Barańczak and Clare Cavanagh, Harcourt Brace International)

Losing things, or realising their lack, usually causes a feeling of deep
disorientation, distress, helplessness or anger. These feelings are felt
across the loss of objects, identities, ideas, sense, language, bonds,
and power. Similar emotions are revealed through the verses of A Speech
at the Lost-And-Found (1972) by 1996 Literature Nobel Lauriat, Wisława
Szymborska. The Polish poet grieves for the loss of community with/in
the world. When disrupted and confused worldly relationships accompany
(mis)understandings of works of art as treasures, carefully evaluated
and classified by experts but isolated from everyday life. Perhaps this
moment of loss and confusion offers us a chance to uncover a new
art-storical paradigm that focuses on building intra-relational
ecologies founded on care, attentiveness and respect. We are hopeful
that losing that to which we have become accustomed may allow us attend
to abandoned possibilities and missed chances, and enable us to unlearn
hierarchical and violent ways of building knowledge, including art as a
vehicle of sustaining power structures.  In this symposium, we propose
to critically engage with the noticeable shift in understanding the
paradigm of art. This departs from ‘interpreting’ and ‘decoding’,
towards a physical, affective and material experiencing within diverse
contexts and communities.   Objects approached from a new contemporary
perspective may be revealed as lost, but at the same time, also
(re)found, allowing for the negotiation potentials of their uses,
understandings and performativity. Attending to relations and things
that were once discarded as unworthy enables us to unlearn, and
re-define existing concepts of identity relationships (gender, class,
ethnic, spiritual, familial) and unearth forgotten rituals, languages
and stories (her-stories, it-stories, their-stories). We question the
circumstances and contexts, and the presence and performativity of
objects (considered as having artistic qualities) within spaces to
reveal neglected, disregarded, ignored or lost potentials.
Szymborska’s poem encourages us to leave the itineraries to which we
have become accustomed and to distance ourselves from a priori
discourses - technocratic thinking and bureaucratic controls - that have
maintained accepted patterns of power and control. We are not interested
in ‘speak back’ narratives, instead everything that has been found or
recovered has been subjected to transformations, hybridisations,
mutations and disintegration.   Imagined as a series of three events in
three locations in order to emphasise the importance of local
socio-cultural and political contexts, we will consider the practical
and beneficial role of art objects and the space(s) they create for and
towards their users.  The arts’ ability to provoke curiosity, wonder,
joy and pleasure activates attentiveness, respect and gratitude. We will
explore the diverse and varied existence of art objects, their
manifestations and status, and interrogate the space of art and the
materiality it offers with regard to its potential to foster and support
empathy, responsibility and response-ability towards others and care for
and about a better communal life.    We hope the discussions and
dialogues during the events will be attentive to the connections and
relations constituted through and alongside art (especially in
collectives but particularly in women’s collectives)* but also of those
marginalised and/or peripheral subjects, including the non-human.

Each location navigates the constellation of issues explored through
interventions that challenge traditional conference or symposium formats.

Within the above framework concerning a paradigm shift, in Lisbon we
focus on artistic, curatorial, institutional, academic practices and
artistic research that engage with art objects, art works, collectives
and exhibitions that respond to three thematic constellations based on
Szymborska’s poem:   1st thematic constellation: STARS and GODDESSES
  ● Alternative ways of thinking and building knowledge (including, but
not limited to assemblage and/ or tentacular thinking; practices of
unlearning and undoing; epistemologies of ignorance, creative unknowing,
building knowledges anew; non-anthroponormative languages and non-human
approaches; decentering his-storical framings towards her-stories,
it-stories, their-stories and other-stories;
● The role of spirituality and faiths in the context of decolonisation
and endogenic concepts of progression (change);
● The role of materiality and corporeality in imagining new methodologies.

PROPOSALS

We invite proposals for the first event in Lisbon.

We seek individual or collaborative contributions and for creative
panels, to imagine alternative presentation formats and prioritise
dialogue, object-based encounters and interventions that occur outside
of the institution. These may include, but are not limited to, walkshops
and strolls (itineraries proposed by participants should reflect on the
issues mobilised by their contributions); gift giving and/ or sharing.
We are happy to discuss and support any creative ideas prior to proposal
submissions.

We encourage activities that are dialogical and collaborative,
responding not only to the above themes, but also to those embedded
within local contexts or the specific urban spaces of Lisbon, Riga and
Warsaw.

Contributions must be on material that has not already been published. A
prospective presenter must also be willing to develop the proposed
contribution into either a book chapter or journal article, should it be
selected for inclusion in a publication. Contributions must be in English.
Please submit your proposal with ‘The-Lost-and-Found’ in the subject
line, and send it to lostandfoundlisbon at gmail.com.
The deadline for sending proposals for creative panels is 31st March 2023.
The deadline for sending proposals for individual or collaborative
contributions is 15th June 2023. Please submit a single document with
the following information:
1.    a title for your contribution
2.    an abstract up to 300 words in length; please specify the type of
contribution (for example, individual or collaborative presentation,
panel, object-based workshop, walkshop, stroll, gift giving and/ or sharing)
3.    a short biography, including your current institutional
affiliation (up to 150 words)
Applicants will be notified of decisions by mid April 2023 (creative
panels) and the end of June 2023 (individual or collaborative
contributions).

ORGANISERS
The Symposium is organised collaboratively between University of Wrocław
(Poland), Polish Institute of World Art Studies, Instituto de História
da Arte - NOVA University Lisbon (Portugal) and Art Academy of Latvia in
Riga (Latvia). The general concept of this event was conceived within
the framework of the project ‘Residua of pre-modern relations with art
in selected contemporary convents in Lesser Poland and Lower Silesia’
financed by the National Centre of Science (nr 2021/41/B/HS2/03148).

Scientific Committee:
Agnieszka Patała (University of Wrocław, Poland)
Anna Markowska (University of Wrocław, Poland)
Basia Sliwinska (NOVA University Lisbon, Portugal)
Jana Kukaine (Art Academy of Latvia, Riga, Latvia)
Janis Taurens (Art Academy of Latvia, Riga, Latvia)
Margarida Brito Alves (NOVA University Lisbon, Portugal)

Sources:
https://institutodehistoriadaarte.com/2023/02/06/call-for-proposals-the-lost-and-found-symposium/

https://uwr.edu.pl/en/call-for-proposals-symposium-on-art-stories/

Reference / Quellennachweis:
CFP: Revising art stories in search of potential changes   (Lisbon, 6-7
Dec 23). In: ArtHist.net, Feb 8, 2023. <https://arthist.net/archive/38513>.