[spectre] Aksioma & transmediale release a new book

Marcela Okretič marcela at aksioma.org
Tue Nov 21 11:30:08 CET 2023

Dear friends,

I'd like to announce the new book co-published by Aksioma & transmediale:

*A Short Incomplete History of Technologies That Scale*

PREORDER <https://aksioma.org/scale-book>

Preorders are open until 6 December 2023.

13€ preorder / 18€ regular price

-----

The word *scale *is tricky. It invites many definitions, orientations and
connections to ourselves, our surroundings and our tools. However, to think
of scale as solely technical is reductive and omits the relations, feelings
and beliefs that come with such measurements and images. In this book,
eight authors come together to challenge our conventions and understanding
of scale as grounded in the human.

*A Short Incomplete History of Technologies That Scale* is a joint
publication by *Aksioma* – Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana, and
*transmediale* in Berlin. The publication reflects back the shared
theme of transmediale’s
2023 festival edition a model, a map, a fiction
<https://2023.transmediale.de/en> and of Aksioma’s programme
Tactics&Practice #14: Scale <https://aksioma.org/scale/> and came together
from a common desire to think collectively about how measurements and maps
create both politics and feelings in the world. It is an investigation
undertaken in collaboration with the authors that opens up our
understanding of the word scale. The book explores how scale reconfigures
relations, politics, and affects, through the writing of *Asia
Bazdyrieva*, *Anthony
Downey*, *Chris Lee* in conversation with *FRAUD* (*Audrey Samson* and
*Francisco
Gallardo*), *Jussi Parikka*, *Laura Tripaldi* and *Ranjodh Singh Dhaliwal*.

The authors expand our understanding of scale to the more-than-human, trace
its movements and frictions through histories, and question the way scale
generates political power. Demonstrating how we can think with scale, they
introduce us to scalar thinking, its urgency in our socio-technical present
and its potential for making new maps, new representations and new kinds of
measurements.

BOOK PREVIEW <https://aksioma.org/pdf/Scale-book-preview.pdf>

-----

*Colophon*

*A Short Incomplete History of Technologies That Scale*

Contributors: Asia Bazdyrieva, Ranjodh Singh Dhaliwal, Anthony Downey,
FRAUD (Audrey Samson and Francisco Gallardo), Chris Lee, Jussi Parikka,
Laura Tripaldi

Editors: Nóra Ó Murchú, Janez Fakin Janša

Editorial assistants: Anna-Lena Panter, Rok Kranjc

Copyediting: Miha Šuštar, Pip Hare

Design and layout: Federico Antonini, Simone Cavallin

Print: Collegium Graphicum

No. of copies: 1000

Promotion and distribution: Sonja Grdina

All texts originally published online as part of the transmediale journal
were edited by Elise Misao Hunchuck.

All texts originally published in the Aksioma’s essay series PostScriptUM
were edited by Janez Fakin Janša.

Published by: Aksioma – Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana
<https://aksioma.org/>

Represented by: Marcela Okretič

and

transmediale e.V <https://transmediale.de/en>., Berlin

Represented by: Filippo Gianetta

Supported by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia and the
Municipality of Ljubljana.

Ljubljana, November 2023

Marcela Okretič
Aksioma - Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana
www.aksioma.org