[spectre] [CAS] September Talk: The Aleph Null Project, Jim Andrews

Paul Brown paul at paul-brown.com
Sun Sep 3 22:09:47 CEST 2023

The Computer Arts Society’s programme continues with a presentation by the Canadian artist and writer Jim Andrews:

The Aleph Null Project
Speaker: Jim Andrews, moderator: Camille Baker

19:00 BST, Wednesday 27 September 2023 via Zoom
Other time zones here:  https://www.timeanddate.com <https://www.timeanddate.com/>

In my virtual talk, I'll present various facets of Aleph Null, the second graphic synthesizer I've written. I started Aleph Null in 2011. I'm working on version 4.0. I wrote it to explore some of the possibilities of generative visual computer art in an online, interactive environment. It's part tool, part work of art. Some of the art I've created with it can be found at https://vispo.com/cv/ja.htm. Some of this work is purely visual; some of it is more textual. Version 4.0, which may or may not be published by the time of my talk in September, will present the software itself and some projects I've created with it recently.

Jim Andrews has been publishing https://vispo.com <https://vispo.com/> since 1996. It's the centre of his work as a visual artist, poet, audio artist, programmer and theorist. Vispo.com <http://vispo.com/> houses his interactive, programmed art, primarily in JavaScript/HTML/CSS, his essays on the poetics of such art, and a guest section of like-minded fellow artists. His work is primarily known among the digital poets, but it's a synthesis of several media and arts. He has a degree in English from the U of Victoria in Canada, and studied three more years of math and computer science there. He lives in Vancouver.

Camille Baker is a member of the CAS Committee and is an artist-performer/researcher/curator within various art forms since 1998: currently immersive experiences, participatory performance and interactive art, mobile media art, e-textiles, haptic interfaces and smart fashion, responsive interfaces and environments, and emerging media curating.  She first met Jim when she was a Director on the board of the Edgewise Electrolit Centre in 1999 to 2001 in Vancouver, a non-profit poetry and multimedia arts organisation, when Jim’s work was featured in one of their online magazines.

The event will be recorded and uploaded to the CAS YouTube Channel.

This event is open to the public and is free but please book your place here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-aleph-null-project-jim-andrews-registration-597575593687

The CAS Programme will continue with The ZKM Digital Art Collection by Morgan Stricot and Beatrice Zaidenberg on 25 October 2023
You can see our future programme here:  https://computer-arts-society.com/events/index.html