[spectre] The Archive of Digital Art (ADA) features Diana Domingues

Carla Milena Zamora Campos carla.zamora-campos at donau-uni.ac.at
Tue Sep 12 12:07:35 CEST 2023

The Archive of Digital Art (ADA) features
DIANA DOMINGUES
The ritualized body between “trance and algorithm”

She has an immense and multifaceted body of work, revealing an enormous talent opening to multiple dimensions. (…) And in my opinion, the contents in Diana’s artworks suggest an absolute innovation, when she started facing the international digital art. She starts from Brazilian history and the traditions of Latin America. To sum up, if I had to characterize in some way the enormous body of work, I would say that it is a way to translate a radical mongrel syncretism. - Àngel Kalenberg

In our new ADA artist feature, we dedicate a retrospective to Brazilian artist Diana Domingues and her work from the early 1980s until today. Diana Domingues, describing herself as an artist-engineer, has been playing an influential role in shaping the interactive and digital art field in South America, particularly in Brazil. Her work juxtaposes Brazilian and Latin American cultural heritage with modern technologies and discusses the tangible and intangible culture by weaving analogies to shamanic figures, trance, embodiments, actions in invisible worlds and magic. In this context she manifested the “digital ritual” as unique experiential and expanding dimension of the biological body in the “infraworlds of digital data” by creating intense, immersive environments using the internet, mobile interfaces, video projections, sensors, mixed/-reality media and caves.

Please follow these links to read the full article and get more information:

Diana Domingues, Artist Feature, 202<https://www.digitalartarchive.at/features/featured-artists/featured-artist-diana-domingues.html>3 – Text & interview by Carla Zamora
The artist’s profile on ADA<https://digitalartarchive.at/database/artists/general/artist/domingues.html>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADA RELAUNCH COMING SOON!
JOIN THE ADA ONLINE COMMUNITY!

The Archive of Digial Art (founded by Univ.-Prof. Dr. habil. Dr. h.c. Oliver Grau, MAE in 1999) offers a platform to collaboratively document the ever-changing world of Digital Art and its related disciplines at the intersection of art, science and technology.

Together with University of Arts Linz and University of Applied Arts Vienna, our research team at the Center for Image Science (Department for Arts and Cultural Studies), University for Continuing Education Krems, is currently developing the Archive of Digital Art (ADA, digitalartarchive.at) into a comprehensive research and teaching infrastructure, a reliable information resource and networking platform for all interested domains and institutions in the digital arts field.

The ADA relaunch, which is planned in October 2023, expands its features and provides artists, scholars, researchers, curators and institutions with a comprehensive environment for art-based research, analysis, networking, exploration and inspiration. Among others, innovative data visualizations, search and analytical tools have been developed.

For more information visit

www.digitalartarchive.at<http://www.digitalartarchive.at/>

Or follow us on Instagram
@image.science_digital.art

Or contact us directly at

digitalart.editor at donau-uni.ac.at <mailto:digitalart.editor at donau-uni.ac.at%E2%80%AF>

Founder of ADA, concept & project lead / PI until June 2022: Oliver Grau

LeFo & ImDaLi project lead since July 2022: Viola Rühse

Research team: Laura Ettel, Carl Philipp Hoffmann, Isabella Iskra, Michael Perl, Alejandro Quiñones Roa,

Max Resch, Paolo Schmidt, Fabian Schober, Alexander Wöran, Carla Zamora Campos

The latest ADA relaunch was developed as part of two research projects (LeFo & ImDaLi) at the Center

for Image Science at the Department for Arts and Cultural Studies at the University of Continuing Education Krems.
Funding: Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (BMBWF, Austria),