[spectre] Open call: One-Off Moving Image Festival 2023

Bjørn Magnhildøen noemata at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 08:21:00 CEST 2023

Call for one second movies and long off takes

Welcome to submit to the 6th edition of One-Off Moving Image Festival!
The festival is digital and screens the movies online during the festival
November 10 - 20, 2023. In addition we use public space in Valencia (ES)
and Gol (Norway) to show the festival via QR-codes. We're collaborating
with 60Seconds Festival in Copenhagen (DK) which takes place at the same
time. 60sec screens a selection of the movies in addition to their 60
seconds movies in Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Køge and Helsingør during the
festival week. In addition, all One-OffF movies will be included in the
next Leap Second Festival, an irregular x-ennale lasting one second. The
festival will also be part of The Wrong Biennale from November 1, 2023 to
March 1, 2024.

This year's theme suggestion is "Colour your dreams". Do androids dream of
electric sheeps? Do they dream in colour? What about the black box of
artificial intelligence? For dreaming in the dark? Hume wrote that nothing
we imagine is absolutely impossible, ie. that we couldn't imagine
impossible things. Mark Jago writes that it may come as something of a
surprise to learn that just about every major philosophical theory of
content and meaning is unable to account for impossible thoughts. Now that
the idea of possible worlds has become a mainstream notion via
interpretations of quantum mechanics, what about impossible worlds,
wouldn't they share the same or similar status? Yagisawa argues, there are
other ways of the world than the way the world actually is. Call them
‘possible worlds.’ There are other ways of the world than the ways the
world could be. Call them ‘impossible worlds’. Where are our dreams headed
now that AI is actively imagining things for us, as a rather counterfactual
and untrustworthy dream-machine shuffling the cards of our everyday
fantasies. Is it colouring the dreams for us? What can be done with a one
second video concerning dreams and colours? An impossible format for
impossible worlds? Or a long off take? A psychogeographical format of
following your dreams?
Be welcome with your own interpretations.

Movie submission
# one second short, or long off take
# original material
# no credits added to the movie
# mp4 web-optimized format
# 4:3 aspect ratio
Deadline for participation was: October 10, 2023.

Website and movie submission
https://noemata.net/one-off/