[spectre] By Design or by Disaster Conference cfp on questions of power in eco-social transformation.

Marc Herbst marc at joaap.org
Thu Mar 14 18:22:56 CET 2024

The Masters in Eco-Social Design in the Department of Design and Art at the Free University of Bozen–Bolzano
has a new CFP for its annual By Design and By Disaster conference.

This years topic relates to questions around power in relation to eco-social transformation.
We are especially interested in left critiques of green transtion, and papers from social and insurgent movements addressing corporate
and state entanglements with the energy sector, and ways of confronting power to be able to re-organize was of living together differently in the now and future.

Power in Transformation

What power is needed for transformation, what power must be overcome, what power is needed to sustain, and which ways of dealing with power and each other do we want to achieve in order to prefigure tomorrow today?

We are trying to gain an understanding of the diverse dimensions of power in relation to social-ecological transformation. Building upon this, we want to clarify how design and art can contribute in moving towards solidary and just power relations among humans and with the more-than-human world. In other words, we ask how to deal with power in moving from capitalism, imperialism, and patriarchy towards commons, care, and queerness? How does design and art contribute to these transformations of power? And what about power in the processes and products of design and art?

For all questions related to the academic track please write to mustapha.elmoussaoui at unibz.it <mailto:mustapha.elmoussaoui at unibz.it?subject=DoD24%20academic%20track>.
For all other questions email designdisaster at unibz.it <mailto:designdisaster at unibz.it?subject=DoD24>.

For the Call For Paper, see- https://designdisaster.unibz.it/by-design-and-by-disaster-conference-2024/ <https://designdisaster.unibz.it/by-design-and-by-disaster-conference-2024/>
Submissions due April 2nd,

Conference July 11-14, 2024

….

Sincerely,

Marc Herbst

Research Professor: Art department, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
Co-editor: Journal of Aesthetics & Protest <https://joaap.org/>
Co-curator: SALT. CLAY. ROCK. <https://saltclayrock.ngbk.de/en> on Nuclear Pasts and Radient Futures, nGbK Berlin 2024