[spectre] (un)real data ☁ - (🧱)real effects, node #2

Marcela Okretič marcela at aksioma.org
Thu Mar 28 16:12:52 CET 2024

*How did we end up in a world where everything is rated and evaluated
according to personal taste? And where do we go from here?*

In the *second node* of *Tactics&Practice #15: (un)real data ☁ - (🧱)real
effects
<https://aksioma.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1ae755fe8a8dbe61fc37d4622&id=b842e6de0f&e=226cfbeb10>*,
dedicated to the politics of rating systems and grappling with the ability
of ratings to cause effects in the physical world, we focus on the artistic
duo *!Mediengruppe Bitnik*, researcher and architect *Selena Savić*, and
artist and critical engineer *Gordan Savičić*.

---

*2 April 2024 15:00-18:00* / ALUO, Tobačna 5, Ljubljana

*WORKSHOP *!Mediengruppe Bitnik, Selena Savić, Gordan Savičić: ⭐*1 Star
Workshop*

The artists scraped thousands of one-star reviews of public sites in
Ljubljana. Taking the scraped data as a starting point, the workshop will
look at the materiality of this data, its specific textures and aesthetics.
What types of views of the city can we generate from the data? How can we
approach the data in interesting ways? Can we use the scraped data as a
form of critique and artistic research? [MORE]
<https://aksioma.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1ae755fe8a8dbe61fc37d4622&id=d5c1b1a441&e=226cfbeb10>

---

*3 April 2024 19:00* / Aksioma Project Space / until 26 April
*EXHIBITION OPENING AND PROJECT PRESENTATION*
!Mediengruppe Bitnik, Selena Savić, Gordan Savičić: *One Star Review Tour*

What are the consequences when we scrutinise and publicly evaluate the
places we love? With the exhibition *One Star Review Tour*, the artists
examine the prevalence of the five-star rating system in contemporary
data-driven environments. They explore how these systems, including credit
scores, social influence rankings and product/service reviews, influence
decisions in various aspects of daily life. The impact of ratings,
influencing our decisions on everything from restaurants and doctors to the
products we buy and the places we visit, will also be the subject of the
accompanying presentation by the authors. [MORE]
<https://aksioma.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1ae755fe8a8dbe61fc37d4622&id=46be8e27d2&e=226cfbeb10>

----

*Tactics&Practice #15: (Un)real Data – Real Effects*
*February–June 2024*

*Participants:* Alexandre Puttick, Cornelia Sollfrank, Felix Stalder,
Gloria Gammer, Gordan Savičić, Marta Peirano, !Mediengruppe Bitnik, Neja
Berger, Sebastian Schmieg, Selena Savić, Simon Weckert, Total Refusal,
Valentina Tanni

*Curators: *!Mediengruppe Bitnik (Carmen Weisskopf and Domagoj Smoljo)
*Artistic director:* Janez Fakin Janša

The programme is based on !Mediengruppe Bitnik’s research project *Latent
Spaces: Performing Ambiguous Data* at the Zürich University of the Arts.
The conference is developed in collaboration with Felix Stalder and with
the curatorial advice of the Latent Spaces research group.

*Production:* Aksioma – Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana, 2024

*In collaboration with:* Kino Šiška Centre for Urban Culture and ALUO – The
Academy of Fine Arts and Design of the University of Ljubljana

*Supported by: *The Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia and the
Municipality of Ljubljana