[spectre] 24-25 September 2024: Oulu Finland - More-than-Planet Event

Annick2 anikburo at gmail.com
Mon May 13 14:56:42 CEST 2024

Dear Spectrites

It is my great pleasure to forward the announcement of Photo
North about the event it is organising at the end of
September as part of the More-than-Planet Creative Europe
project.

Oulu, Finland will be the place to be this Autumn!

Best

Annick

*
*

*Photo North: More-than-Planet Environmental Literacy
Seminar and Photo Exhibition Opening will take place on
24-25 September 2024 at Valve Cultural Centre, Oulu.*

Globally, 75% of the world's land area is under direct human
influence. Our actions and the way we understand and
conceptualise the planet have a concrete impact on our
environment. The technologies used to study and describe the
Earth's environment, as well as the concepts, value systems
and cultures that define the human perspective, are often
complex, difficult to understand and disconnected from
people's everyday lives.

How can artists and critical researchers contribute to the
challenges of space and ecological crisis? How can
environmental literacy open up new perspectives, connections
and agency for individuals and communities in a world
struggling with climate change?

These themes will be explored in the More-than-Planet
seminar starting on Tuesday 24th of September. The event
will include presentations on interspecies relations, the
problematics of observation and imaging technologies,
satellite remote sensing, ecological transition and the role
of art in social discourse. In addition, we will hear
presentations of the workshops and residencies carried out
during the More-than-Planet project.

On the evening of the first day of the seminar at 19:00, the
opening of the More-than-Planet exhibition will be
celebrated in the Valve and Photo North galleries. The
exhibition is open until 19th of January 2025. The
exhibition, which focuses on environmental literacy, offers
perspectives and views from the space, the forests and
beneath the earth's surface. The artists featured in the
exhibition are Baran Caginli, Felicia Honkasalo, Mari
Keski-Korsu, Kotryna Ula Kiliulyte, Minna Långström and
Cesar and Lois collective.

Combining satellite data, artistic research, citizen science
and photography, the More-than-Planet project develops
environmental literacy through artistic work and
collaborations linking space, climate and environmental
research from 2022 to 2025. Project partners include the
Waag Society in the Netherlands, the Ars Electronica Centre
in Austria, Leonardo/Olats and Makery in France and Project
Atol in Slovenia. Photo North's local partners include the
University of Oulu's Oulanka Research Station, the Pyhäsalmi
Mine's Callio Lab research and testing organisation, and the
University of Oulu's Kerttu Saalasti Institute.

The international research project More-than-Planet
<https://waag.org/en/project/more-planet/> develops
environmental literacy through space exploration, artistic
work and collaboration between 2022 and 2025. This project
receives funding from the European Union’s Creative Europe
programme under grant agreement No 101056238 and national
match funding from the City of Oulu and the Finnish National
Agency for Education.

@more_than_planet

@waagnl

@makeryfr