[rohrpost] phonotaktik.02.vienna

vienna@phonotaktik.at vienna@phonotaktik.at
Fri, 24 May 2002 13:43:31 +0200

--Apple-Mail-2-983738320

the social construction of technology
28. Mai bis 2. Juni 2002 in ganz Wien
www.phonotaktik.at

get your ticket for the festival (festivalpa=DF und gebrauchsanleitung)

when?
Tuesday, 28.05.2002 17:00 - 22:00

where?
=D6sterreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
A-1010 Wien
Dr. Ignaz Seipel-Platz 2

=
--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-

How do you plan phonoTAKTIK.02?

More than a year ago we started to make plans for phonoTAKTIK.02 by
discussing many new issues. Everyone involved was familiar with the
situation surrounding pT.02: Vienna Electronica was ten years old.=20
Nothing
new had happened. In every major European city, electronic music=20
festivals
featured identic programs. Musicians had become mere decorations for
gallery openings, with progressive curators vying for their=20
participation.
Musicians primarily seemed to care about what kind of food they were=20
served
backstage. Female artists had not really made any progress in the
electronic music scene. All those who were not invited to phonoTAKTIK.99
performed in Vienna in the months after the festival. Artists exhibited
ritualistic behavior patterns that increasingly resembled the vain
attitudes of rock stars.

phonoTAKTIK has always stood out for its efforts to explore uncharted
territory and break new ground for artistic expression. It has never=20
tried
to turn musicians into stars, but instead has tracked the development of
the music and its environment.

None of us thought that the festival should turn into a commercial =
event.
All those questioned agreed that phonoTAKTIK was neither conceivable nor
feasible in times like these.

In times like these ... Will Vienna Electronica turn into just another
music hype or is this negative stance a result of the pervasive fear and
aggression engendered by neoliberal politics? And how does this negative
attitude affect the music? What happens when all the successful acts =
have
traveled the world five times? What happens when the door has been =
closed
on new developments? Will we cut red ribbons and found institutions to
explore something we have lost?

And will anybody consider this nostalgia worth supporting? Don't we have
to think about how to use new tools and mechanisms to help us survive=20
this
difficult political and economic situation and media concentration?

The Social Construction of Technology

demands and supports

the development of new positions. Don't just react! Act!

In a small biotope, we will show how a modified, utopian art and music
enterprise could work. Based on the motto "Auf nach Clayton" from =
Kafka's
novel America, phonoTAKTIK invites all musicians to come to Vienna. In=20=

2002
pT will try to use tools in a new way. pT.02 points out that there is=20
more
than one way to develop innovative ideas and solutions.

phonoTAKTIK will start in Vienna on May 28. Musical events will take=20
place
all over the city until June 2. Answers to our questions: maybe in the
future?

Attending phonoTAKTIK.02 we produced a catalogue in cooperation with
the music journal skug (http://www.skug.at), which will be obtainable=20
from May 28.

<mailto:info@phonotaktik.at>

</underline>),