[rohrpost] Black Media Congress Berlin 2004 Announcement

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Mit Mar 3 14:30:37 CET 2004

From: "love" <love at cyberNomads.de>
Subject: Black Media Congress Berlin 2004 Announcement
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:21:56 +0100

WE INVITE YOU TO PARTICIPATE IN THE

BLACK MEDIA NETWORK

Black Media Networks in the African Diaspora

World wide progress between the colonialism of the Berlin Congo
Conference 1884 and concepts of Afrofuturism in the Black Atlantic

In Cooperation with:

  Bundeszentrale fuer politische Bildung, ISD BUND e.V., HKW

Concept: Michael Kueppers & Abdel Rahman Satti

Location: House of World Cultures Berlin

Mission

The Black Media Network (BMN) was co-founded in 2002 by cyberNomads
and ISD Berlin e.V. to address the misrepresentation of minorities in
the media and the stereotypical use of images of people of African
descent. But also to increase the number of voices and debates
concerned with positive change in a multi-cultural society.

Vision

BMN vision is to network with socially conscious media professionals
around the globe. We view the increasing numbers of artists,
journalists of African descent as an important part of creating
socially conscious media professionals who pursue storytelling about
people, places, and issues typically ignored by the mainstream media.
The marginalized black history of resistance in our communities can
be unearthed with the power of online media and global network
events.

Black Media Congress Berlin 2004

29 - 31 October, 2004

  Storytelling and Cultural Equality

BMN seeks also to recapture the lost and emerging stories outside the
mainstream media. It views this work as critical for these
communities and serves as an outlet for new forms of cultural
expression. Legitimising these voices gives them authority, places
them on equal footing with the myriad of voices that make up the
fabric of German society. The authentication of these disparate
voices advances our communities and society as a whole.

Inspiration is everywhereŠ

Nothing gets your juices flowing like seeing what others are doing
well. To ignite some passion of your own, check out Diasporic success
stories. Who knows, you might be there to inspire someone else
someday. Everyone involved in a Black Media Network program gains
something from the experience.

A)        Professionals: by building positive experiences and a
greater Black Diasporic knowledge - precise information about media
projects and initiatives - building new contacts and learn from case
studies

B)        Observers: get an overview of case studies and can lobby
for support, spread the word, be informed about positive change

C)   Community: discussions and strategies for the implementation of
a Black Media Watchdog as part of European community spirit against
racism and xenophobia

What's the online presence of cyberNomads?

If you are familiar with our activities you may have noticed that our
website <http://www.cybernomads.net/>www.cyberNomads.net is in the
process of being upgraded and redesigned over the last months. We are
in the process of publishing an online dossier with the title African
Diaspora  Presence in Germany. Together with partners from embassies,
Black media and NGO's from our German community, we will use the
website as a platform for information, education and networking.

The online coverage for Black Media Congress Berlin 2004 will
generate a political debate and provides input for our cultural
archive that is the first digital databank of its kind in Europe.

Further Information

For access to the entire site go to
<http://www.cybernomads.net/>www.cyberNomads.net, new users, group
leaders and individuals should go to ecommunity/ cyberpass and Sign
Up.

Who are cyberNomads?

Abdel Rahman Satti

studied acting during the late eighties in HFF Potsdam, East
Germany.  During the nineties he worked on a variety of cultural and
migrant projects across Europe, that related to history and culture
of the Diaspora of people of African descent. Back in Germany he
designed together with Sun Leegba Love the online project
cyberNomads.net on behalf of ISD Berlin. Since then he has been busy
with the visual documentation of current affairs for community
projects and project management. He studied film and holds a degree
from the London Institute. His graduation film was shown at festivals
in Milan, Zanzibar and LA. Apart from heading cyberNomads.de, Satti
has produced and directed various documentaries. He works on a film
script, that explores the complex relationship of an African father
and his Afro-German son. He was part of Talent Campus at Berlinale
2003 and is responsible for the video archive and documentary work of
cyberNomads.de.

Michael Kueppers aka Sun Leegba Love

studied literature and philosophy at Heinrich-Heine-University as
well as Video and Performance at the academy of fine arts in
Duesseldorf. He received a one year scholarship from Duke University,
USA studying African American literature with Henry Louis Gates jr.
and postmodernism with Frederick Jameson. He holds certificates as
multi media producer and interactive video producer. His activities
included manager  of a cultural center, director for interactive
internet TV, event and public relations manager. As co-founder of the
agency cyberNomads.de he develops Diaspora community concepts as
trans-cultural and hybrid media formats. As the poet Sun Leegba Love
he was choosen to represent Contemporary German Literature at Goethe
Institute NYC and Nuorican Poetry CafŽ. Since 1989 he has written,
directed and produced some 50 plus hybrid media and literature based
performances in cooperation with artists from all fields - and
directed an interactive DVD movie on the Afro German experience. Sun
Leegba Love has written two unpublished poetry collections and
appeared in a variety of video productions that have been in rotation
on MTV and VIVA.

The Beginning of cyberNomads

The diasporic experiences of the cybernomads team served as a pool
for a variety of contacts around Europe. The name cyberNomads was
chosen in 2001, after Satti saw an internet cafŽ in the Mauretanian
desert with the same name. Contacting various organisations, all
started pretty soon with an old 300 MHz Pentium computer, which was
used to draft the first ideas for the project. Contacting various
organisations, all started in spring 2001 with an old 300 MHz Pentium
computer, which was used to draft the first ideas for the project.
Love«s long term passion for the documtation of the diasporic
experience and his private archive together with the concept for an
internet presence dating back to as early as 1996 enabled them to
rather rapidly develop a working concept. The final pitch for the
project was forwarded (a 66 pages proposal called Afro Media Online)
to the Head of Multimedia at BpB (Federal department for Political
Education in Germany) in summer 2001. In the fall of 2001 BpB decided
to co-fund the realisation of the digatal architecture for
<http://www.cybernomads.net/>www.cyberNomads.net - a community
project for ISD Berlin e.V (Initiative Black Germans and Blacks in
Germany). On January the 1st in 2002 cyberNomads went to work in the
old Jewish quarter in the heart of East Berlin. A strategy plan for
the community involvement was developed. In anyMotion GmbH a company
was found that supplied the software for a professional content
management system to start a platform uniting the various isolated
platforms in the fragmented diaspora of germany. Simultaneously the
Bertelsmann Foundation invited the project as one of the 15 best
social business ideas from over 600 entries worldwide. The Mothership
Databank Archive was launched in the autumn of 2002. In January 2003
cyberNomads had to give up its office due to government spending
cuts. Since then cyberNomads maintain the website voluntarily from
home and spend lots of hours for the necessary editorial work.

cyberNomads vision and long term goals

Our long-term goal is to establish a powerful lobby and platform for
survival and interaction among euro-centric power structures that
divide and rule various fragmented black, migrant and gender
communities. There is demand for innovation, best practive but also
resistance and networking. The idea of the cyberNomads Online
"Mothership" Databank can be successful because of the living people
who create the network. The students, journalists, educators and
users are all responsible for its growth. This project has the chance
to be successful because it is, truly, a grassroots community. This
community will digitally reflect and publish information about their
activities online and has the chance to become a brainpool for new
ideas. The participants themself enhance an understand the vitality
and complex issues that face our communities. The publishers have a
pride in ownership which no preconceived "top-down" organization can
engender. We want to offer community support for those in need, and
further universal understanding about the challenges facing people of
African descent in Europe. cyberNomads operates to develope the
cultural and spiritual aspects of community and supports the creative
uses of 21st Century technology to self-empower the community and
enable it to interact as competent and valued citizens. cyberNomads
works at enhancing a cultural Black perspective using untold stories
and a platform for sharing and discussion in a changing global market
place.

cybernomads acquiration of Content for the Mothership Databank

Starting as early as in 2001 cyberNomads travelled to various events
of importance for the African Diaspora in Germany. cyberNomads
documented on audio and video using Mini DV and MiniDisc. As a result
cyberNomads accomodates probably the largest german Multi Media
Archive for people of African descent. The archive will be online as
soon as there is funding for editorial work. In spring 2003
cyberNomads succesfully developed and realised a Multi Media Spoken
Word Performance in Berlin's rather prestigious museum Martin Gropius
Bau. cyberNomads thus introduced spoken word by people of African
descent to a major german mainstream art institution. During summer
2003 cyberNomads conceptualised an Online Dossier that features
academic experts, community activists and artists, establishing an
overview on history, media, academia and art of Afro Germania. Topics
range from the presence of African civil servants during the middle
ages until the latest formation of the refugee movements or HipHop
collective like Brothers Keepers. The Online Dossier is called
"African Presence in Germany" and will be featured on the website of
the Federal Department for Political Education
<http://www.bpb.de/>www.bpb.de as well as on
<http://www.cybernomads.net/>www.cyberNomads.net . It can be used in
schools, universities and other educational institutions around
Germany. Another community project - the first German International
Literary price for the African Diaspora - is officially announced in
cooperation with the House of World Cultures at Black Media Congress
Berlin 2003. The event will take place in fall 2004. The team of
cyberNomads continues to grow beyond the focus of education and
politics and embraces a diasporic community that works in tandem with
our efforts to selfempower and correct stereotypes. Projects can be
checked through our international mailing list and on our website:
<http://www.cybernomads.net/>www.cyberNomads.net. You are now
partaking in another of cyberNomads projects The Black Media Congress
Berlin. Last year we hosted The Black Media Congress Berlin 2002
under the title "Soul Power and Cyberspace" mainly for german
speaking grassroots activists and media professionals of African
descent. The Black Media Congress Berlin 2003 under the heading
"Network Europe - Best Practices from Grassroots to Mainstream" aims
at a Pan African Diaspora Media network in Europe. Speakers from
England, France, Holland and germany updates and informs interested
media professionals, artists, activists and students on the situation
around Europe. The Black Media Congress Berlin 2004 will logically
focus on a world wide diasporic community. Our long-term goal is to
establish a powerful lobby and online platform. The interaction in a
euro-centric power structuresdividing and ruling our various
fragmented black, migrant and gender communities is a great
challenge. cyberNomads continuously seek more projects, partners and
sponsors in vision and perspective.

Contact: Abdel Rahman Satti under:
<mailto:satti at cybernomads.de>satti at cybernomads.de,

Tel.+49-179-2858173