[rohrpost] DATABASE OF VIRTUAL ART : NEW THESAURUS

Oliver Grau oliver.grau at culture.hu-berlin.de
Mit Jun 8 09:46:16 CEST 2005

We are pleased to announce the release of the extended Database of
Virtual Art. It now provides an enlarged set of features and research
opportunities: The major novelty is the freshly implemented Thesaurus
featuring a variety of categories and keywords. The Database offers an
extensive search tree that permits a targeted set search :
(best under Mozilla or Safari, Explorer perhaps needs a reload)

e.g. genre: interactive art:
<http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de/common/searchWork.do?keywordId=164>http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de/common/searchWork.do?keywordId=164

or theme: body:
<http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de/common/searchWork.do?keywordId=222>http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de/common/searchWork.do?keywordId=222

The Thesaurus of the Database constitutes a new approach to systemize
the field of Digital Art and the terms and concepts connected to it
and will grow over the next few months. Get your own impression and
take a look at
<http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de>http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de. We
encourage your
remarks and suggestions!

As a pioneer in the field, the Database of Virtual Art has been
documenting the rapidly evolving field of digital installation art
since 1999. It is supported by the German Research Foundation and
various other institutions. Our research-oriented, complex overview
of immersive, interactive, telematic and genetic art has been
developed in cooperation with renowned media artists, researchers and
institutions. The database is based on open-source-technologies and
allows individuals to post material themselves. Currently it contains
hundreds of work descriptions including several thousand digital
documents, technical data, institutions and bio-bibliographical
information about the artists. As one of the richest resources available
online, the database responds to the demands of the field.

Video is especially able to document the processual nature of
interactive works. Therefore we have strategically integrated this
medium into our concept since 2002. Over time the interlinked layers of
data will also serve as a predecessor for the crucial systematic
preservation of this art.

Director: Prof. Dr. Oliver Grau,
<mailto:Oliver.Grau at culture.hu-berlin.de>Oliver.Grau at culture.hu-berlin.de

Technical Lead: Christian Berndt, M.A.
<mailto:berndt at kulturtechniker.de>berndt at kulturtechniker.de

Main Editor and Development Manager: Anna Paterok, M.A.
<mailto:vkunst01 at cms.hu-berlin.de>vkunst01 at cms.hu-berlin.de

Video Documentation: Robert Loessl
<mailto:robert.loessl at channel-unit.de>robert.loessl at channel-unit.de

Institution Coordination: Wendy Jo Coones, M.A.
<mailto:wendy at coones.net>wendy at coones.net

<http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de>http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de

Address
Kunstgeschichtliches Seminar