[rohrpost] conference RE:activism: Re-drawing the boundaries of activism in a new media environment

Aram Bartholl bartholl at datenform.de
Die Mai 31 09:37:09 CEST 2005

hi, ich weiss nicht ob das schon durch die rohrpost gegangen ist. hört
sich auf jeden fall interessant an.

RE:activism: Re-drawing the boundaries of activism in a new media
environment

which is to take place in

Budapest, October 14-15, 2005

Re:activism conference addresses what role social activism can play in
the broad process in which emerging new media technologies transform
existing structures of cultural, economic and political power. The
conference offers eight panels, each of them representing an important
approach from which the transformative potential of new media can be
meaningfully addressed.

On the first day, we gather to discuss the new dynamics of culture
production. Digital networks allow the large scale cooperation of
individuals with diverse motivational backgrounds. This cooperation
often results in globally competitive ideas, (software) products,
(social) services. The productive activities of ad-hoc activist or
expert networks on the Net can best be theorised by a new approach in
political economy exploring the structure and dynamics of  peer
production networks. Since the emergence of peer networks transforms the
established institutions of the production of memory and cultural canon,
a panel session will be devoted to new forms of grassroot journalism and
open archiving. Another important challenge for the status quo of
culture production is the fast development of digital techniques
allowing new forms for remix and detournement, in a word, culture
jamming. Finally, a special panel will explore how various social,
economic, and legal agents of regulation in a post-Westphalian world
order can react to all these processes.

On the second day we take a step closer to groups and individuals
calling themselves explicitely „activist” and we explore the various
forms of local and global activism in the context of new media. Cheap
and decentralized communication channels have fertilized new forms of
activist practices through which social movements and civic action
groups have organized themselves. The emergence and operation of world
large anti-globalization activist networks is the most evident example
of new media triggered activism. Maybe less manifest, still very
important, is the urban guerilla activism enabled by the developing
infrastructure of locative media and wireless technologies. One of the
panels will explore how activists can turn, by the means of locative
media,  the urban fabric into a battleground. One of our main aims is to
establish a conceptual framework that helps describing the civic uses of
new media technologies, the emergence of local civic engagement in the
digital media landscape. Finally, by exploring new media activism in the
context of democratic elections we can dive into the forces that change
contemporary political systems.

The aim of RE:activism conference is to bring together various people
with various backgrounds, interests and projects, still, all immersed in
the field of activism and digital media. RE:activism will serve not only
as an academic conference, but as a large-scale social event enabling
academics and practitioners, eastern and western, European and
North-American, groups and individuals, to engage in communication and
to establish further cooperation.

--

Aram Bartholl
Ackerstr. 38