[rohrpost] Mediamatic workshops in September

workshops workshops at mediamatic.nl
Don Jul 27 10:25:28 CEST 2006

Upcoming workshop: RFID and The Internet of Things
11, 12, 13 September 2006
@ Mediamatic Amsterdam

After a succesfull CrashCourse in May, Mediamatic now presents a
second workshop on RFID and The Internet of Things.

RFID allows for the unique identification of objects, and any kind of
online data can be linked to these unique ID's. If RFID becomes an
open web-based platform, and users can tag, share, and contribute
content to the digital existence of their own places and objects, we
can truly speak of an Internet of Things. This opens perpectives for
new sustainability scenario's, for new relations between people and
the stuff they have,  and for other locative applications.

The participants of this workshop will develop critical, utopian or
nightmarish concepts for an Internet of Things in a hands-on way.
Ideas can range from scripts for small new rituals to outlines of
societal changes of epic scale. Prototypes can be tested with the
workshop tools The Symbolic Table or the Nokia3220 phone with RFID
reader.

The workshop has room for 16 designers, artists, thinkers and makers.
Participation fee is €350 per person, ex BTW. Lunches, technical
equipment and assistance are included. If you want to participate in
this workshop, please register at our online registration form:
http://www.mediamatic.net/workshopregistration

For questions or more information, surf to http://www.mediamatic.net/
workshops,

mail to workshops at mediamatic.nl, or call Klaas Kuitenbrouwer: +31 20
6389901.

Workshop Machinima – Games as Tools

26 | 27 | 28 | 29 September 2006

@ Mediamatic, Amsterdam

  Machinima is the art of making film inside the real-time 3D virtual
environment of a video game engine. By treating the in-game viewpoint
as a camera, the gamespace becomes the set, the characters turn into
actors, and the gamer becomes a director.

This  4-day workshop is about making films in game environments in
the first place, but we'll also take a look at ways in which games-as-
tools can be used in live performances, interactive story spaces and
more.

  In this workshop participants will make their own machinima movies
or game based projects, guided by experienced machinimamakers and
animators. The trainers will cover all the practical topics, like
designing 3D sets, creating character interactions, re-camming,
virtual lighting and camera scripting. But also we will look at
machinima as a wider cultural practice, investigating the impact of
gaming on visual culture.

  This workshop is intended for filmmakers, animators and gamers, who
are interested in each others arts and other mediaprofessionals who
are interested in and game-based projects. Some experience with
playing video games is helpful, but not essential. More information
can be found on http://www.mediamatic.net/machinima. Mail your
questions to workshops at mediamatic.nl or call Klaas Kuitenbrouwer: +31
20 6389901.