[rohrpost] monochrom's Taugshow #11 @ C-Base, Berlin (May 12, 2007)

das ende der nahrungskette jg at monochrom.at
Son Apr 29 19:46:27 CEST 2007

monochrom presents:
++TAUGSHOW #11++
Saturday, May 12, 2007 / 8:00 PM @ C-Base, Berlin

The flat hierarchies of talk shows are about as
subversive as NYC Democrats smoking dope. But
count us out! We won't produce a talk show. Nope.
We produce a TAUGSHOW! Which means: we dig it.
Our guests are geeks, heretics, and other
coevals. A joyful bucket full of good clean
fanaticism, crisis, language, culture,
self-content, identity, utopia, mania and
despair, condensed into the well known cultural
technique of a prime time TV show.

[taugen; Viennese slang: to dig/love/adore something]

Host: Johannes Grenzfurthner
Content Manager: Roland Gratzer

Sat May 12, 8pm, C-Base, Berlin, Germany.

Thanks to the wonderful folks at C-Base and the CCC for helping us...

/// HEINRICH DUBEL ON HELICOPTERS AND OTHER FLYING MACHINES

Heinrich Dubel is a writer of science-fact and
-fiction for various german and international
magazines. He has published books and articles on
such diverse topics such as urban develepmont and
history, psychological warfare, the psychology of
branding, and youth subcultures. His most recent
works deal with the influence of modern
technology on the unconscious mind of man. Lives and works in Berlin.

We'll talk to Heinrich about the helicopter. The
essence or the hidden identity of the helicopter
appear as a dichotomy; on the one hand a total
threat coming from above, something you cannot
possibly escape from, the all-seeing flying eye
in the sky, the omnidirectional warmachine; and
at the same time, its opposite: a rescuer coming
from the air, from heaven above, as an angel.

And what about Nazi UFOs? We'll see...

http://www.heinrichdubel.de/

/// RÉGINE DEBATTY: THE MEAT IS THE MEDIA!

Régine Debatty (BE/DE) studied Classics in
Belgium and England, worked as a teacher of Latin
and ancient Greek, then moved to media, working
as a documentary director for the Belgian
national TV, as a reporter for the radio Onda
Cero in Spain and as a consultant for the MEDIA
programme of the European Commission in Italy.
She's now a full-time blogger, a new media art
consultant for festivals and art commissions and
writes about the intersection between art, design
and technology on we-make-money-not-art.com and
contributes to design and art magazines.

We'll talk to her about her statement "The Meat is the Media".
What happens when artists manipulate life itself,
hack the genes and grow semi-living entitites in their labs?

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/

/// KARIN HARRASSER ON FACT AND FICTIONS

Karin Harrasser, Researcher in Cultural Studies
on the following topics: History of Technology,
Popular Culture (Science Fiction), history and
politics of the body, and Gender Studies. She is
also active in the field of Science Communication
(exhibitions, conferences, development of new
publishing formats etc.). Her recent research is
on the cultural implications of limb-prosthetics.
She lives and works both in Vienna and Berlin.

We will talk to her about why it still seems to
be attractive to talk about Science in the mode
of Science Fiction and why SF is a restricted
mode for science communication. Karin asserts
that this is not because SF represents scientific
"facts" wrongly - this could on the contrary be a
productive way to communicate science - but
because SF usually describes power relations in a
naive way, and because SF hardly ever shows the processes of research.

http://www.science.co.at/personen.jsp?id=15

/// Regulars:

EVELYN FÜRLINGER, MA.

Evelyn presents "Wicked Wordz", our regular column about lingustics.

/// Showband:

MONOCHROM ALLSTAR BAND
featuring
KRACH THE ROBOT