[rohrpost] Roger Beebe - New Maps of the New World - Friday 17 June

richfilm productions office at richfilm.de
Die Jul 14 00:58:48 CEST 2009

this summer we present a screening series at z-bar
Roger Beebe - New Maps of the New World
film and video work
Friday, 17 June 2009
21:00 Uhr
Z-Bar
Bergstraße 2
10115 Berlin-Mitte

New Maps of the New World

Artist Roger Beebe, who also has a background in critical theory,
works closely with the cinematographic image, using super-8, 16mm
film and video. He accomplishes in his pictures intrinsic beauty and
the specific intensity of its medium, small-gauge film. "The formal
quality is not enough for me," he states though; and there, the title
of the screening programme comes into being: "New Maps of the New
World". With his program, the filmmaker Beebe presents a much broader
sense of "mapping" than in the geographic implications of the word:
the layout of structures, certain relations, and an attempt to draw
them out without giving ready-made conclusions.

Such a cinematic drawing-out in Roger's terms may be the "mapping" of
spatial designs of strip malls ("Strip Mall Trilogy"), which shape
big parts of Americans rural and urban landscape. Or, the visual
relations between a well-known land mark on the Californian Coast,
Morro Bay and a nearby power plant ("rock/ hard place"). The dance
film "A Woman, A Mirror" lays out another, different kind of mapping:
it is based on a research on female pilots in the U.S. Air Force in
the 40's and a reflection on gendered technologies, or, technologies
of gender. Dance movements addressing the camera in female air force
flight formation recall the historical fact that gender rolls were
quickly re-established in the old-fashioned division of male and
female labour after the war.

Looking at the whole program and at the other films, one may alter
the title of the screening program to the question: "Which New World
do we come from, which new world are we headed, and, can anybody
possibly try to draw a map?" The poetic language of Roger Warren
Beebe's films thus is gratifying in visual and intellectual terms,
and may give inspirations to draw our own pattern maps. The artist
will be available for Q&A and later social gathering at the bar of
Z-Bar.

Artist's Links:
http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/rogerbb/

Links:
Flexfest - http://www.flexfest.org/
Z-Bar - http://www.z-bar.de/
Directors Lounge:
http://directorsloungeblog.tumblr.com/post/140397205/roger-beebe
More program infos:
http://richfilm.de/filmUpload/1-framesRogerBeebe.html

Members of the audience who are keeping an eye on the Urban Research
program at Directors Lounge possibly have already seen a couple of
Roger's films at the festival. And, as a curator and festival
director (Flex Fest), he is very interested in the theme of urban
mapping. We can possibly look forward to seeing part of that at the
upcoming Directors Lounge in February 2010.

Klaus W. Eisenlohr
Team Directors Lounge

--
richfilm productions, Klaus W. Eisenlohr, Osnabrücker Str. 25, D-10589 Berlin

eMail Adresse: 		office at richfilm.de
Homepage !!!		http://www.kw-eisenlohr.de
Film Produktion:		http://www.richfilm.de

Telefon:			int.- 49 - (0)30 - 3409 5343 (BERLIN)