[rohrpost] exhibition "ubiquitous oscillations", 27.1 (wed) - 7.2 (Sun) 2010, General Public, Schönhauser Allee 167c

Shintaro Miyazaki miyazaki.shintaro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:05:33 CET 2010

Please forward [>>>>]

Dear Friends and Networkers,

I would like to invite you to the opening and the
exhibition of

ubiquitous oscillations²
or about rhythmic structures of media

an exhibition of two sound installations by
Michael Chinen (*1982, US / Berlin), Thomas Gerwin (*1955, Berlin),
Akitoshi Honda (*1977, Berlin / JP), Shintaro Miyazaki (*1980,
Berlin / CH / JP), Wolfgang Spahn (*1970, Berlin)

Motto:
listening and looking for a music theory of everyday life

In resonance with "OVERLAP – SOUND & OTHER MEDIA" the subject of this
years CTM the exhibition will investigate into the rhythmic structures
of every day media technology with two very contrasting sound-based
installations.

The first installation 2nd Order Diatoms (Michael Chinen, Akitoshi
Honda & Shintaro Miyazaki) senses the rhythm of electronic mobile
gadgets that you use in your daily life. The electromagnetic waves
produced by the little machines get converted to sound and light.  2nd
Order Diatoms is also a laser-installation, which creates circular
patterns similar to a certain kind of diatoms, one of the oldest life
forms of our earth. As artists we ask ourself: “How could LIFE FORM be
synthesized?” Our answer: Life form begun in the ancient ocean. In the
ancient ocean there were many rhythms and frequencies, such as the
waves of the ocean, the volcano’s furies and never ending thunders.
They mixed with each other and maybe effected the forming of a new
life form. We use the frequencies and rhythms of mobile phones to try
to form new life forms. We call them “2nd Order Diatoms”.

The second installation Spiel-Tisch (Thomas Gerwin & Wolfgang Spahn)
is an interactive audiovisual play table. By throwing two dices, 12
different sound objects and soundscapes are visualized in colorful
circular patterns inspired by Chladni-Figures physical phenomena
discovered in 1787 by Ernst Florens Friedrich Chladni. Spiel-Tisch is
exploring and creating by chance new and unusual relationships between
sounds and pictures.

Opening 27.1 (Wed), 1900 (7 p.m.)
28.1 - 7.2 (Sun) 2010 (between 2 and 8 p.m.), General Public,
Schönhauser Allee 167c

Map:
http://bit.ly/7ZvgyJ

Press release: