[rohrpost] Tomorrow in Berlin: READING CAPITAL POLITICALLY

Martyna Starosta martynastarosta at yahoo.de
Fre Jul 1 15:14:15 CEST 2011

Within the frame of Sucide or Solidarity?
organized by the radical collective Red Channels from New York:

Saturday 2nd July – 4PM

READING CAPITAL POLITICALLY
READING GROUP SESSION I
Okk/room 29
Prinzenallee 29
13359 Berlin

Join us to discuss Reading Capital Politically by Harry Cleaver.
Link to the book is here

As social movements waned in the late 70s, the study of Marx seemed  to take on
a life of its own. Structuralist, post-structuralist,  deconstructed Marxes
bloomed in journals and seminar rooms across the US  and Europe. These Marxes
and their interpreters struggled to interpret  the world, and sometimes to
interpret Marx himself, losing sight at  times of his dictum that the challenge
is not to interpret the world but  to change it. In 1979, Harry Cleaver tossed
an incendiary device called Reading Capital Politically into those seminar
rooms. Through a close reading of the first chapter, he shows that Das Kapital
was written for the workers, not for academics, and that we need to  expand our
idea of workers to include housewives, students, the  unemployed, and other
non-waged workers. Reading Capital Politically provides a theoretical and
historical bridge between struggles in  Europe in the 60s and 70s and,
particularly, the Autonomia of Italy to  the Zapatistas of the 90s.

---
Martyna Starosta
Film Detective
Red Channels