[rohrpost] Hypernatural Sounds #3: exit strategies

Desiree Förster foerster.desiree at gmail.com
Mo Aug 15 15:53:27 CEST 2016

I warmly invite you to the 3rd edition o*f Hypernatural Sounds* - this
time, together with three amazing musicians and representatives from the
Berlin art scene, we investigate the topic of *exit strategies*. So please
come by next *Monday, August 22nd, 7:30 pm at Liebig*and enjoy 3 sets by
Mikko Savela, Mikko Savela and Martyna Poznanska, that are joined for a
discussion afterwards by Allegra Solitude (Liebig12), Lieke Ploeger
(Spektrum), and DIYchurch, moderated by me.

Here all information in short:

Hypernatural Sounds #3: Exit Strategies
August 22nd 2016
Liebig12
http://www.liebig12.net/

Doors 7.30pm - Performances start 8.30pm

HYPERNATURAL SERIES: THE PHILOSOPHY OF SOUNDS is a series curated by Pedro
Lopes and Desiree Förster. This series brings together musicians and
theorists for sharing with the audience the philosophy behind sound art and
music.

In our current western society, we experience “Exits” everywhere – we long
them, we fear them, we can hardly believe them when they happen to us, we
exit our affiliations, we exit identities and genres, we exit everything.
Exit strategies in culture or artistic practice can provide structures for
distribution and creation, enable creativity or trigger our deep-down
utopian visions in form of escapist arrangements.

At the Hypernatural Sounds # 3: exit strategies we will engage directly in
the heart of this discussion. Not by merely theorizing it from a distance
but by engaging in conversation (and in concerts) with three musicians
which in their own way testify for different exit strategies.
The performances will be followed by an extended discussion round including
the artists, Allegra Solitude (Liebig12), Lieke Ploeger (Spektrum), and
DIYchurch.

The artists:

Mikko Savela: a guitarist of finnish origin, born and based in Umeå,
Sweden. Mikko's work entails not just unique ways of playing a guitar by
destroying it through percussion, but also a manual on how to break away
from trends, norms, which are deeply embedded in the acoustic guitar -
perhaps the most mainstream musical object of all times. Mikko's work is as
physical as it is creative.
http://www.mikkosavela.com/

Liz Albee: is a musician who works with the imaginarchic potential of sonic
material. Her work constantly challenges the limit of the instrument and
the surroundings, which includes merging the trumpet with a myriad of
objects and of course the human body. Liz is a creator of lo-fi
technologies for instrument extension, entailing extremly performative
explorations of non-idiomatic music.
http://www.lizallbee.net/

Martyna Poznanska: is a sound artist whose investigations dig into all
those small sounds around us, those omnipresent pieces of acoustic ecology:
noise within urban environments. Her work, through field recordings,
compositions and installations, is as much about the sounds that she
triggers as about your role in listening: an open invitation to explore the
listener's side inside the performance.
http://www.martynapoznanska.com/

When it comes to artists, the question of positioning oneself and oneself's
artwork in relation to society is crucial. In art, unlike in the
aforementioned business world, one can easily "sell out" while seeking
survival-in-this-harsh-capitalistic-empire and quickly become
uninteresting; on the contrary many opt for hiding in "underground" niches
and find funding sources outside the art world; many gray scales in between
exist, and all of these together inform each artist's' position and exit
strategies. But what do artists try to escape?

This "exit strategies" is kindly broadcasted by DIYChurch, a radio show
that has been live streaming/remixing/repurposing the experimental scene
since 2010 with a DIY attitude and a zine-like outlook (read more here
too). DIYchurch airs via the Reboot.FM network (a berlin-based fm community
radio) and is eternally and communally available at archive.org.

Hope to see you there!

The event page: http://www.liebig12.net/hypernatural-3-exit-strategies/
The event on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1209512129081518/