[rohrpost] E-books für umme ... #inetbib

Karl Dietz karl.dz at gmail.com
So Mär 29 19:17:43 CEST 2020

Die Bibliothek des Instituts für Kunstgeschichte Aachen ... den Hinweis auf
diese Liste von Quellen gepostet, wo man freie E-Books aufgelistet findet
<https://ebookfriendly.com/free-public-domain-books-sources/>. Das
internationale Projekt Gutenberg ... blockt übrigens immer noch deutsche
IP-Nummern.

2903 via n.

s.a.

Das Internet Archive hat eine weltweit für alle zugängliche kostenlose
Leihbibliothek namens National Emergency Library mit 1,4 Mio.
urheberrechtlich geschützten Titeln eröffnet (via Internet Archive Blogs
und netbib):

„To address our unprecedented global and immediate need for access to
reading and research materials, as of today, March 24, 2020, the Internet
Archive will suspend waitlists for the 1.4 million (and growing) books in
our lending library by creating a National Emergency Library to serve the
nation’s displaced learners. This suspension will run through June 30,
2020, or the end of the US national emergency, whichever is later.“

2503 via digithek ch

s.a.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-national-emergency-library-is-a-gift-to-readers-everywhere

“Is this legal? All this falls under fair use, at least for the duration,
is the thinking here. As the copyright lawyer Kyle Courtney has pointed
out, libraries have copyright superpowers that they can use in an emergency
like this one. Other collections should follow Kahle’s lead. Factiva,
jstor: unlock the gates.

Has this ever happened before? Not that I know of, but maybe there’s a book
in the National Emergency Library that will contradict me. It reminds me a
little, though, of the Council on Books in Wartime, a collection of
libraries, booksellers, and publishers, founded in 1942. William Warder
Norton, of W. W. Norton & Company, was chair of the council, which issued a
statement declaring that “books are useful, necessary, and indispensable.”
F.D.R. agreed, writing to Norton, “a war of ideas can no more be won
without books than a naval war can be won without ships.” The council
picked over a thousand volumes, from Virginia Woolf’s “The Years” to
Raymond Chandler’s “The Big Sleep,” and sold the books, around six cents a
copy, to the U.S. military, as Armed Services Editions, books for soldiers
and sailors and Army nurses and anyone else in uniform. As Yoni Appelbaum
wrote in The Atlantic a few years ago, the council effectively gave away
more than a hundred and twenty million books—their very best titles—and
created a nation of readers. Emily Graff, who was, a long time ago, a
student of mine but who is now an editor at Simon & Schuster, once went to
the council’s archives at Princeton to read the letters written to the
council by servicemen and women. One ship captain wrote, “We live on
books.” (My emphasis)

Viele Grüße, Karl Dietz
Mobil  0172 / 768 7976
https://karldietz.blogspot.com

Modulares #blendedLearning incl.
Recherche basic.advanced.extreme

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 6:36 PM Karl Dietz <karl.dz at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://wiki.aki-stuttgart.de/mediawiki/index.php/Inetbib
> incl. infos zu corona* et al.
>
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013
>

>> > ● 28.5.1994: 28 Teilnehmer / Subscribierte
>> > ● 17.6.1996: 1000 Teilnehmer
>> > ● Mai 1999: 2400 Teilnehmer
>> > ● November 2004: über 4000 Teilnehmer

ff.