[spectre] Flush Art -> down the toilet

ana.peraica@st.tel.hr ana.peraica@st.tel.hr
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 02:19:20 MEST

dear all, dear zeljko

not sure why this should be sent here.

Andreas asked me a week ago if I can send the invitation on the list... as I
have forwarded him the original call. I could not send it without the
authorisation of Politi, as I didn't know if the call is only sent to me or
meant to be sent out.
The reason of this protection was in relation to Politi's reaction to petition
to Edi, which I got from him, and their efforts to build up the Tiranna
bianual. For my opinion it was a great job, to the contrary of many other
curators that have been only exporting authors of the Balkan context
(discourse), not investing into the local structures.

Is Mr Politi traying to prevent
market collapse... investigating influences to his market strategies?

Well, I recieved a call as a feedback on my&AAA call on 15th edition of the AAA
(Split, Croatia) with the concept of Global Blame (sent also on the Spectre).
As you might read there it was a call for media related contributions
(documentation, and over-documentation, traslation of the document...
contextualisation), which we were interested in. I have forwarded a call to
many authors (theorists and artists whose work I appreciate) and for
discussions to Sylvere Lotringer (ed of Semiotext(e)), artist Martha Rosler,
DeeDee Halleck, Geert Lovink which I find not related to the market at all,
except for a critique.

I am not sure if Flash Art has a market except the one of the magazine.

How will Flash Art this issue...
	heaving even more US artists in his magazine?
	promoting politically correct expression?
	animatig/promoting production of war-related art?

Try to challenge them... if you think so. Maybe this is what is going to
change?

Looking at this phenomenon from the outside makes me remember what kind of
art was supported during the war in croatia, bosnia & herzegovina,
kosovo... or the worst example in nato bombing of serbia.

Well, I was writing on this phenomenon in my text on UN art (feeling sick of
Eastern European overcorrectness), but I see no relation, of first of all -
wars in definition, as on the Balkans they were classic ones - visible enemy,
cartographically clear positions (at least for some time of the day),
predictable artillery.
This is something completely else - it is a self-referrent war of USA, with
completely different enemy (not know, invisible... that might be anyone...) and
that can have consequences for all people thinking different - or it might
introduce the real face of democracy as the tiranny of majority (where the
majority does not need to be numerical in number of items as people, but as for
example ecconomic). From that point, as art is not some part of majority system
- it can become an enemy...

Large de-contextualisations of works prior to this event have already happened
(Bey, RT markt..), and what was once incorrect art and art&terror has changed
context... I think this is of the issue more than art in wars.

video art(ists) should be the most obvious benefitiaries of such event so
we might finally get to see some new production from TV footages.

well, recycling will only decrease the sublimity of the event. and more - if
you think of doing it - didn't you felt sick of art produced by Western artists
on the West, and on the topic of the Balkan wars? What would be the difference
now?

best
ana

Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom HThinet WebMail usluge.
https://webmail.hinet.hr