[spectre] Fw:Flash Art

ana.peraica@st.tel.hr ana.peraica@st.tel.hr
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 12:54:36 MEST

----------
From: "Erhardt Miklos" <miklulu@freemail.hu>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 00:26:29 +0200
To: ana.peraica@st.tel.hr
Subject: flash art

As far as I know from a second-hand information, the Tirana Biennial sent
out invitation cards with the portrait of Osama bin Laden on them, not much
before September 11th. This might not be a sign of Mr Cattelan's gift of
prophecy -
we don't have any decisive proof yet of bin Laden being directly involved in
the atrocities - but it is for sure a sign concerning his being up to date
about
symbols and iconography of our (western) times. I saw (strange that I use
the verb in past tense) the temptation of representing the unbeliveable to be
an important tendency in Western art, the taboo (the long list from, let's say,
Warhol's Mao through various representations of the horrors of western
unconsciousness to Cattelan's 'Him' or the aforementioned Osama-card). So,
art was searching for representations existing and real enough (I mean, bloody
real,
virtually...) to prove it's courage, outrage and, eventually, its isolation.

Somehow we have to be a bit more silent about people who commit suicide for
their principals. This gives a very new sense to seriousness.

It's possible, as Mr Cattelan points out, that 'inter arma musae tacent' (sorry
if the quotation is incorrect),
but written words once again have sense for me. Some dissident texts I've read
after September
11th have their coherency, strength and impact. So does any manifestation of
compassion and dissent to recent waves of violence and warcries. It might sound
strange
but I feel just to make the comparison: art won't be able to hit the visual
perfection of the bombings (artists, at least among each other should
confess their sick jealousy). I think the events will raise a new tendency of
iconoclasm, so I don't really believe in new videoart pieces recycling the
bombing-footages (I have to consider this myself, being busy in shapeing a
paper mache Berlusconi-statue for an exhibition...), so new prospectives for
less
spectacular (and less expensive) contributions, for intellectual commitment can
be opened.

Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom HThinet WebMail usluge.
https://webmail.hinet.hr