[spectre] Arundhati Roy: The Algebra Of Infinite Justice:briefing the Briefing?

Lorenzo Taiuti md3169@mclink.it
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:32:44 +0200

Dear Benson
the "wonderful piece of thought" still stands so even after your critics.
Because Arundhat Roy  she is just re-writing ( and very well) a compendium
of many years of progressive thought, at least fitfy years, face to the
world equlibrium and new wars outbursts.
But my message was not only that.
And it seems to me that you focused only on a part of it.
By recognizing the basic and classic quality of her writing ( and connecting
it with an important part of Sontag's interview) i was putting in a few
doubts.
1) The necessity of a further proceeding from those basic positions.
2) The necessity of recognizing the different quality of the new terrorists
face to the classic figures of  revolutionary leaders (Guevara, Mandela,
Arafat...) and their not beeing expression of a people, but at most an
immaginary  projection of a huge malaise.
And i quote from my previous message:"But the problem with what is going on
now is that we do not face a terrorism
that is only provoqued by the old mistakes and horrors of american foreign
policy.
The terrorists we are facing are not Guevara, Mandela, Arafat, etc...the
popular heroes representing the needs of their own people.
They represent particular power groups of people convinced of the
superiority of their own culture and obsessed by the inferiority of their
power to buy.
Their culture (Taleban) for instance  is based on repression of all cultural
and psychological needs we consider basical for individual life and living.
The terrorists are not symbolic representations of all wrongs happened
between west and the World.
They are doing their own thing.
So Arhundati Roy says again what all the socio/cultural movements have been
sayng in the last fifty years.
Different global politics.
Different relatonships between rich west and poor societies.
Did we ever stop to say that?
Has jurgen Habermas recently said "...war cannot be the exclusive answer,
even if it presents itself as a necessity..."
It seems to me that i made clear a complex point of view, not to be defined
as an a-critic acceptance of Roy article.
Don't brief the brief messages we send.
Ciao
Lorenzo Taiuti