[spectre] notice from David d'Heilly about "H_story" (cinema) articles in French TV/Cinema mag Telerama

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck@transmediale.de
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:06:03 +0200

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:07:55 +0900
From: david@2dk.net
Subject: notice from David d'Heilly about "H_story" (cinema) articles in
 French TV/Cinema mag Telerama

This email is simply to notify of two articles in one of France's largest
film and television magazines about "H_story,"* a feature film directed by
Nobuhiro Suwa, starring Beatrice Dalle, inspired by Alain
Resnais/Marguerite Duras' "Hiroshima Mon Amour" which has, while still
struggling with distribution, continued to receive very positive reviews in
the French press. At the time of the film's debut in Cannes this year
Liberation gave the film two pages (and a color picture on the front page),
Le Monde offered two contrasting reviews on the same day, and Cahiers de
Cinema has featured it in both print and by hosting special screenings. But
things were Now that we've secured a French distributor, an issue of
Telerama, one of France's largest film and video magazines, has just hit
the stands with two articles, one about its making and one a review. These
are on-line, ergo this email.

H_story is a film about the work of making cinema. Specifically the work of
remaking "Hiroshima Mon Amour," while at the same time being that same
contemporary remaking. For those who know the original there are a lot of
readings that can be drawn from comparisons with the original. Strangely,
the film has gained a lot from the events of these past six weeks. For
those who do not know the original, it is a striking portrait of an actress
trying to survive that job that is making cinema.

Obviously, a working knowledge of French is useful in understanding what is
said, though the little icon man with the enthusiastic face tells
non-francophiles something about the Telerama reviewer's opinion of the
film.

Here's the URLs:

1)
http://cinema.telerama.fr/edito.asp?art_airs=MAF2076696&vrub=2&vpage=a_la_un
e&srub=1
2)
http://cinema.telerama.fr/edito.asp?art_airs=MAF2076699&vrub=2&srub=1&page=a
_la_une

I am sending this mail because I worked with Suwa on pretty much every
aspect of the film, from the original proposal to the final product's debut
in Cannes, (I am credited in "H_story" as 'Direction Collaborator.') and
one of the points of my contribution was introducing a technique of "video
scripting" which we used in development and which is also mentioned
prominantly in the reportage piece. I am currently composing footage from
our video scripts and video that I shot on location into an accompanying
feature length video work.
I wish that email activism could get films distributed. Were that so I
would ask everyone to encourage the people around them to read reviews like
this and share the word. But then I and every other filmmaker on earth
would probably be deluding you day and night. Should the day come when
H_story comes to a theater near you I hope that you do consider taking the
time to see it.

I am not the publicist for the film, for all official inquiries please
contact Mr. Hayashi <hayashi@works.suncent.co.jp>

* (History without an "I", or Hiroshima Mon Amour Story, or Hiroshima
Story, or Her Story, depending on how you read the film)