[spectre] dmz on the web-online forum - korea

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck@transmediale.de
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:29:15 +0200

From: <jiseon@nabi.or.kr>
Subject: dmz on the web-online forum
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:49:45 +0900

Dear Sir and Madame,

Art Center Nabi is a unique center for New Media art located in Seoul,
Korea. It aims to nurture creativity by facilitating the communication of
research and experimentation among the humanities, technology, and art. Art
Center Nabi invites you as a panelist to participate in a rich and
provocative discussion in our on-line forum, the Web as an Artistic Medium,
in conjunction with the on-line exhibition, "DMZ on the WEB." Let me give
you a brief introduction of the exhibition and the online forum.

The "DMZ on the Web" project deals with the issues around the
de-militarized zone between the North and the South Korean borders, which
is inaccessible except for a few. This 4km wide demilitarized zone across
the Korean peninsula was established after the cease-fire of the Korean
war. Technically, the two Koreas are still on a war, and this zone is a
constant reminder of this fact. Ironically, it is one of the most well
preserved wildlife habitats in South Korea. The artists who are in their
20's and 30's and have no direct experience of the war reinterpret the DMZ
in various ways on the web. The artists attempt to bridge the differences
between the DMZ as a closed-off military and natural space on one hand, and
an open cyberspace on the other hand.

The online forum, it will be explored how the web is used as an artistic
medium.

Firstly, we will look at different narrative methods used on the web, such
as hypertext. Secondly, we will examine the tools that are used to realize
the images, such as JAVA/FLASH. Thirdly, we will explore the textual and
the visual languages that are organized into an architecture, which enables
the viewers to enter and explore the open cyberspace. Finally, we will
discuss how those languages and the organizing architecture are used as
tools for activism that are specifically related to the DMZ, such as the
environmental and political issues.

In this forum, we will discuss the use of web as an artistic medium and how
it is used to reinterpret the DMZ on the web. Web as an art form engages,
explores, and argues for the potential for being an open forum. It is also
where the discussion of the DMZ is staged.

online Forum: September 20, 2001 - October 20, 2001
online Exhibition: October 10, 2001 - November 11, 2001 (www.livedmz.net)

Web as an Artistic Medium
- Narrative : Hypertext (e-narrative, e-poem)
- web tools : Java/Flash
- Architecture (Net Space)
- Activism

We invite you to participate in this on-line forum. We hope that you can
join, and contribute to challenging and provocative discussions. If you are
unable to attend the forum, we would appreciate it if you could recommend
us someone who might be interested in participating. We look forward to
hearing from you. If you would like to find out more information,

please contact: jiseon@nabi.or.kr