[spectre] On the Events in New York

Annick Bureaud annickb@altern.org
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:46:56 +0800

Shuddhabrata Sengupta wrote:
>=20
> Day before yesterday it
> was New York=2E Today it could be anywhere=2E

It was already anywhere before New York and Washington=2E But because it
is the USA and such a massive destruction and killing  and the use of an
exceptionnal "weapon" , it makes the world and first the American
realized that war is no longer "local", that what goes on in Palestine
and Israel, in Balkans, in Algeria, in Afghanistan, in Philippines, you
name it, belongs to the *entire* world=2E It might be "far away", but it
is not, it is just as if it were in the street nearby my home=2E And it is
not a question of "media coverage" and those images we saw over and over
again on TV=2E

The most difficult will be to resist the "security paranoia", the hate
of "muslim and arabs" and the control over society that will follow=2E
That has already started=2E After the terrorists attacks in Paris, in 95,
the government has come up with an "anti terrorist plan" called "Vigie
Pirate"=2E They have reactived it at its maximum=2E But since 95, it was
never de-activated fully=2E It means cops and the army everywhere in
public spaces, controls all the time=2E And guess who is controlled the
most ? The arab-looking like young people=2E It is totally useless in
terms of fighting against terrorism=2E But it conforts people who are
afraid of the "foreigner", the "alien", and it helps the police to
control "over things" (like small  drug dealers)=2E
Also, the Internet will get even more attention=2E The French governement
was already strongly against the "freedom of expression" on the
Internet, encryption, and they worked on different laws, that seems
"mild" but that are rather good at control if one use them=2E Now we'll
get a huge move to say that the Internet must be controlled because
terrorists use it=2E And what can you answer that ? How can you say that
this is democratie and freedom that are at stake here when thousands of
people died in such a horrible way ?=20

Another point : since the 95 terrorism attacks, I am unconsciously
checking the bags around me in public spaces=2E If one is not attended by
someone, I feel nervous=2E How do you fight against that ? Against looking
at the "other" near you as a potential ennemy ? If we don't want the
terrorists winning, this is a battle we have to fight for too : for
freedom of expression, for the rights of the muslims and arabs to have
web sites and not consider *all of them* as potential criminals, for
giving up our own anxiety, our fear of the "person near by"=2E

I hope this mail was not too long=2E Some of us wanted "discussions" on
this list, I wished it had been on another subject=2E

Annnick
--=20
ATTENTION : NEW EMAIL ADDRESS - NOUVELLE ADRESSE EMAIL
annickb@altern=2Eorg
---------------------------
Annick Bureaud (annickb@altern=2Eorg)
--------------------------------------
SUPPORT LEONARDO/SOUTENEZ LEONARDO :=20
* Get a T=2EShirt / Achetez un T=2EShirt
http://www=2Ezero23=2Ecom/leo/leo=2Ehtm

* Buy past issues of Leonardo Journal/Achetez les anciens num=E9ros de la re=
vue
http://www=2Ecdemusic=2Eorg/
t=E9l/fax : 33/143 20 92 23=20
mobile : 33 (0)6 86 77 65 76