[spectre] V&A: Leaving An Impression: The Artist's Use of The Body

Roddy Hunter r.hunter@dartington.ac.uk
Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:34:31 +0100

--MS_Mac_OE_3108731672_1346303_MIME_Part

=80 apologies for cross-posting =80

Part of the V&A Summer School 2002

17 August         LEAVING AN IMPRESSION: THE ARTISTS USE OF THE BODY

This study day investigates the way that artists have used the human body t=
develop works of art. Artists  have had a long-standing fascination with th=
impressions that a bodies leave from hand prints to death masks.  Lectures
will look at how this aspect of art practice has informed and influenced th=
work of artists in a variety of media. Though it will open with a historica=
overview, the day will deal mainly with contemporary practice.
Lectures/presentations include:

=80 Motionless Bodies: A brief history of the body in sculpture form
A session  exploring the  body as a source of inspiration and as a =8Craw
material=B9 from which Sculpture is made.
Dr Tom Flynn, freelance lecturer.

=80=A0The camera exposes the body
This session will look at the representation of the body in photography,
examining the work of established and contemporary photographers from Man
Ray to Jemima Stehli.
Lisa Le Feuvre, Photographers Gallery.

=80=A0Performance Art: Recontextualising Bodies, Recontextualising Art
There are many different views on the history  of performance art and how i=
came into being. This lecture will focus particularly upon the social and
cultural implications of using the body as material for artwork in a live
setting.
Roddy Hunter, Dartington College of Arts.

=80=A0Hands on: the use of the body in print-making
Certain print-making processes allow and even encourage artists to make
direct impressions of the body =AD their own, or a model=B9s. This talk will
look at the ways in which artists such as Anthony Gormley, Helen Chadwick
and Lee Wagstaff  have used the body to make prints.
Gill Saunders V&A

Study Day Fees: Full fee =A328.Concessionary rates: Senior Citizens, Friends
and Patrons of the V& A: =A322. Students on state-funded courses:=A37.50.
Registered disabled people and ES40-holders:=A35.00.
Free places: A free place can be offered to a carer accompanying a
registered disabled person attending a study day or course.

Victoria and Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 2RL. 020 7942 2000
www.vam.ac.uk

Roddy Hunter
Associate Director: Visual Performance
Dartington College of Arts
Totnes  TQ9 6EJ
England

t: +44 (0)1803 840503
f: +44 (0)1803 866053
e: r.hunter@dartington.ac.uk=20

--MS_Mac_OE_3108731672_1346303_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>V&amp;A: Leaving An Impression: The Artist's Use of The Body</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><I>=80 apologies for cross-posting =80<BR>
</I></FONT><BR>
<BR>
<P>
<FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><B>Part of the V&amp;A Summer School 2002 &nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=3D"2"> <BR>
</FONT></B><H5><BR>
17 August &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;LEAVING AN IMPRES=
SION: THE ARTISTS USE OF THE BODY &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
</H5></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">This study day investigates the way that art=
ists have used the human body to develop works of art. Artists &nbsp;have ha=
d a long-standing fascination with the impressions that a bodies leave from =
hand prints to death masks. &nbsp;Lectures will look at how this aspect of a=
rt practice has informed and influenced the work of artists in a variety of =
media. Though it will open with a historical overview, the day will deal mai=
nly with contemporary practice. Lectures/presentations include:<BR>
<BR>
=80 <I>Motionless Bodies: A brief history of the body in sculpture form<BR>
</I>A session &nbsp;exploring the &nbsp;body as a source of inspiration and=
 as a =8Craw material=B9 from which Sculpture is made. <BR>
Dr Tom Flynn, freelance lecturer. <BR>
<BR>
=80=A0<I>The camera exposes the body</I> <BR>
This session will look at the representation of the body in photography,<BR=

examining the work of established and contemporary photographers from Man R=
ay to Jemima Stehli. <BR>
Lisa Le Feuvre, Photographers Gallery.<BR>
<BR>
=80=A0<I>Performance Art: Recontextualising Bodies, Recontextualising Art<BR>
</I>There are many different views on the history &nbsp;of performance art =
and how it came into being. This lecture will focus particularly upon the so=
cial and cultural implications of using the body as material for artwork in =
a live setting.<BR>
Roddy Hunter, Dartington College of Arts. <BR>
<BR>
=80=A0<I>Hands on: the use of the body in print-making<BR>
</I>Certain print-making processes allow and even encourage artists to make=
 direct impressions of the body =AD their own, or a model=B9s. This talk will lo=
ok at the ways in which artists such as Anthony Gormley, Helen Chadwick and =
Lee Wagstaff &nbsp;have used the body to make prints.<BR>
Gill Saunders V&amp;A<BR>
<BR>
Study Day Fees: Full fee =A328.Concessionary rates: Senior Citizens, Friends =
and Patrons of the V&amp; A: =A322. Students on state-funded courses:=A37.50. Re=
gistered disabled people and ES40-holders:=A35.00. <BR>
Free places: A free place can be offered to a carer accompanying a register=
ed disabled person attending a study day or course.<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Victoria and Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 2R=
L. 020 7942 2000<BR>
<B>www.vam.ac.uk<BR>
</B></FONT><BR>
<P>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#808080"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><B>Roddy Hunter<BR>
Associate Director: Visual Performance<BR>
Dartington College of Arts<BR>
Totnes &nbsp;TQ9 6EJ<BR>
England<BR>
<BR>
t: +44 (0)1803 840503<BR>
f: +44 (0)1803 866053<BR>
e: r.hunter@dartington.ac.uk</B></FONT></FONT> <BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3108731672_1346303_MIME_Part--