[spectre] One day/ All day: April 27

Trebor Scholz treborscholz@earthlink.net
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 00:57:28 +0800

--B_3099257848_1105960

>=20
CK
ING
HEY
ERS
RPOSE
E OF
OF
E TOO
EAR,
ESE
ED
RLD
ANONS
BANE
OMES
S AND
MILES
LICE
SEEN
NDRED
REE.
RICAN
ATED
PRIL
HS OF
IN
NG

--B_3099257848_1105960

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>One day/ All day: &nbsp;April 27</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">(=
apologies for cross-posting)<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"7"><BR>
Right2Fight <BR>
</FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"5">A cross-disciplinary initiative on the theme of police viole=
nce.</FONT> <BR>
<B><BR>
One day, all day. <BR>
<BR>
Sarah Lawrence College, New York <BR>
</B><BR>
<B>27 April 2002<BR>
<BR>
http://www.molodiez.org/right2fight/slc.html<BR>
<BR>
<I><BR>
BROOKLYN, NY: A Haitian New Yorker named Abner Louima is tortured by member=
s of the NYPD.<BR>
A broken broomstick is shoved into his rectum and mouth while his attackers=
 scream racist epithets. The crime takes place on August 9, 1997. Four offic=
ers are convicted. On February 28, 2002, three of the four convictions are o=
verturned. One officer is granted a new trial; two others are set free outri=
ght.<BR>
</I></B><BR>
As weapons and methods of surveillance become more sophisticated and grass =
roots dissatisfaction with political and economic systems grows, in many par=
ts of the world policing is becoming increasingly brutal and intrusive. From=
 80s video surveillance, alarming in its own right, we have moved on to far =
more invasive forms of policing: &nbsp;automated face recognition technologi=
es in use on the streets of London; iris scans imposed on Hadj pilgrims arri=
ving in Mecca; techniques elaborated to spy on the most private exchanges on=
line and off; &#8220;Echelon,&#8221; an espionage system devised to scan vas=
t quantities of e.mails and telephone calls worldwide, in real time&#8230;<B=

<BR>
>From a world best described as an analog panopticon, we have moved into wha=
t independent curator Inke Arns calls a pancodicon* : &nbsp;a world of digit=
al surveillance and electronic space in which our most intimate thoughts can=
 be charted. In this world, what few protections were afforded those who sta=
nd in opposition to the status quo are lost, snatched back by systems of pol=
icing -- local, national and global -- bent on breaking all but the tamest f=
orms of resistance.<BR>
<BR>
Such attacks on liberty are, needless to say, not new. Entire systems of ec=
onomic and political domination have been built upon policing at once extrao=
rdinarily violent and intrusive. Among these, one might cite the very system=
 on which the country we live in was founded. From the arrival of the first =
slave ship at Jamestown Harbor in 1619 to the contemporary streets of our la=
rgest cities, from the era of Jim Crow lynchings to the beating of Rodney Ki=
ng and the killing of Amadou Diallo, the United States has been a place of v=
iolence meted out at the hands of a few bent on controlling and silencing th=
e many. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Once, men and women of African descent, in this land, were deemed 3/5th of =
a human being; today, so many men of African heritage -- <I>one in every ten=
</I> -- are behind bars or otherwise ensnared in the criminal justice jugger=
naut** &nbsp;that one can legitimately speak of a genocide under way. In Atl=
anta, Detroit, Los Angeles, women and men of Native American, Latino and, in=
creasingly, Asian heritage are questioned, arrested, incarcerated at rates i=
n no way commensurate with their representation in the population at large. =
Post 9/11, over a thousand Arab men are in US jails, still waiting to be cha=
rged with a crime; in many cases, their own families have not been told wher=
e they are.<BR>
<BR>
Elsewhere too, state violence has broken and continues to break lives, spir=
its, entire peoples. Violent repression was the cornerstone of the colonial =
project, in Africa and Asia alike. &nbsp;Patrice Lumumba of Congo, murdered =
by Belgian-trained gunmen mere months after his country gained independence;=
 Ruben Um Nyobe, heartbeat of Cameroon&#8217;s struggle for self-determinati=
on, killed in a French ambush in 1958; &nbsp;Steve Biko, beaten to death by =
South African police in 1977... Theirs are but the best known names -- a pal=
try few &#8220;history&#8221; deigns to recall among those of hundreds upon =
hundreds of thousands who died, many resisting, killed by authorities in pow=
er only because they had the means to destroy.<BR>
<BR>
In Europe, as the industrial age emerged, workers died by the thousands. In=
 Napoleonic Paris, boulevards were cut through the city in wide swaths to ma=
ke the task of shooting discontented factory hands easier, should they take =
to the streets en masse. As the 19th century drew to a close, in the UK and =
US, strikers seeking better wages were clubbed and shot. In the wake of a Ma=
y Day protest that brought 80,000 workers to Chicago&#8217;s Michigan Avenue=
, police violence exploded. Within days, eight men were arrested. &nbsp;A &n=
bsp;trial was held, centering on a bomb all agreed none of those indicted ha=
d planted. Five of the men were sentenced to death; the three others were re=
manded to prison for life.<BR>
<BR>
One would like to think that such excesses are a thing of the past. They ar=
e not: <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">
</FONT>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><B>ABNER LOUIMA<BR>
<BR>
AMADOU DIALLO</B> (1)<BR>
<B><BR>
LUC BENOIT BASILEKIN </B>(2)<BR>
<B><BR>
SUSANA GOMEZ, RONALD RAUL RAMOS</B> (3)<BR>
<B><BR>
SEATTLE, QUEBEC CITY, GENOA </B>(4)<BR>
<B><BR>
SEOUL, JAKARTA, BRISBANE</B> (5)<BR>
<B><BR>
JOHANNESBURG, PARIS </B>(6)<BR>
<B><BR>
BULGARIA, ALGERIA </B>(7)<BR>
<B><BR>
VIRGINIA</B> (8)<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>

</FONT>
<P>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><B>(1) THREE YEARS AGO</B>, A GUINEAN IMMIGRANT NAMED AM=
ADOU DIALLO WAS STRUCK DOWN IN A HAIL OF BULLETS FIRED BY NEW YORK CITY POLI=
CE. HE WAS REACHING FOR IDENTIFICATION; THE OFFICERS ASSUMED HE WAS REACHING=
 FOR A GUN. THEY FIRED FORTY-ONE BULLETS. NINETEEN HIT THE TARGET.<BR>
<BR>
<B>(2) IN FEBRUARY 2001</B>, THE GOVERNMENT OF CAMEROON INSTITUTED THE OPER=
ATIONAL COMMAND, A PARAMILITARY TASK FORCE BRINGING TOGETHER MEMBERS OF THE =
LOCAL AND NATIONAL POLICE AND THE ARMY. THE C.O.&#8217;S OFFICIAL PURPOSE WA=
S TO END A CRIME WAVE IN THE CITY OF DOUALA; IT WAS MEANT IN FACT TO BRING T=
O HEEL SECTORS OF THE POPULATION OPPOSED TO THE REPRESSIVE RULE OF THE GOVER=
NING PARTY. IN ITS FIRST SIX MONTHS, THE C.O. PERPETRATED 500 EXTRA-JUDICIAL=
 EXECUTIONS; BY YEAR&#8217;S END, 1000 PEOPLE HAD DIED. &nbsp;ONE OF THE FIR=
ST WAS LUC BENOIT BASILEKIN. <BR>
<BR>
<B>(3) IN APRIL 1996</B> <B>IN GUATEMALA CITY</B>, SUSANA GOMEZ WAS RAPED B=
Y TWO NATIONAL POLICE OFFICERS; SHE WAS SIXTEEN YEARS OLD. IN SEPTEMBER 1996=
, RONALD RAUL RAMOS WAS SHOT AND KILLED BY A TREASURY POLICE OFFICER; HE TOO=
 WAS SIXTEEN. MORE THAN TEN OTHER STREET CHILDREN WERE MURDERED THAT YEAR, L=
IKELY BY POLICE. TWELVE MONTHS LATER, NONE OF THE PERPETRATORS IN THESE CASE=
S HAD BEEN APPREHENDED.<BR>
<BR>
<B>(4) IN SEATTLE, QUEBEC CITY AND GENOA</B>, OVER THE PAST TWO YEARS, UNAR=
MED WOMEN, MEN AND CHILDREN CALLING FOR A MORE MEASURED APPROACH TO GLOBALIZ=
ATION THAN HAS BEEN PROPOSED BY SUCH BODIES AS THE WTO AND WORLD BANK WERE A=
TTACKED BY POLICE WIELDING BATONS, RUBBER BULLETS, WATER CANONS AND TEAR GAS=
. SIMILAR VIOLENCE GREETED UNARMED PROTESTERS AT MAY DAY RALLIES THROUGHOUT =
ASIA AND THE PACIFIC IN 2001, FROM SIDNEY AND BRISBANE TO KARACHI, SEOUL AND=
 JAKARTA.<BR>
<BR>
<B>(5) IN FEBRUARY 2002</B>, A COLONY OF SQUATTERS WAS VIOLENTLY DISPERSED =
IN CENTRAL JOHANNESBURG. THE POLICE LEVELED THE INHABITANTS&#8217; MAKESHIFT=
 HOMES AND DESTROYED THEIR BELONGINGS. THE SQUATTERS WERE MADE TO BOARD BUSE=
S AND WERE DRIVEN OUT OF THE CITY, WHERE THEY WERE UNCEREMONIOUSLY DUMPED, M=
ILES FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY. THE METHODS EMPLOYED IN THIS DISPERSAL WERE SI=
MILAR TO THOSE USED IN FORCED REMOVALS OF THE APARTHEID ERA.<BR>
<BR>
<B>(6) ON SUNDAY OCTOBER 17, 1961</B>, ALGERIANS LIVING IN PARIS ORGANIZED =
A PEACEFUL MARCH TO PROTEST A CURFEW ON PERSONS OF ARAB DESCENT. THE POLICE =
MOVED IN. THEIR COMMANDER WAS MAURICE PAPON, WHO DURING WWII HAD OVERSEEN TH=
E REMOVAL OF 1560 FRENCH JEWS TO GERMAN CONCENTRATION CAMPS. TWO HUNDRED UNA=
RMED ALGERIANS WERE SHOT, BLUDGEONED AND DROWNED. &nbsp;PAPON REMAINS FREE. =
&nbsp;DAILY, FOR NO REASON BUT THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN, PERSONS OF NORTH AFR=
ICAN DESCENT ARE DETAINED, ARRESTED, BEATEN AND SHOT ON FRENCH STREETS.<BR>
<BR>
<B>(7) SINCE 1994</B>, RACIALLY MOTIVATED VIOLENCE AGAINST ROMA GYPSIES IN =
BULGARIA HAS INCREASED DRAMATICALLY. MUCH OF THIS VIOLENCE IS PERPETRATED BY=
 POLICE AND PRIVATE SECURITY FIRMS. IN THE COURSE OF ONE WEEK, IN APRIL 2001=
, EIGHTY YOUNG PEOPLE WERE KILLED BY THE POLICE IN KABYLIA, IN NORTH-EASTERN=
 ALGERIA. &nbsp;ALL WERE MEMBERS OF THE MINORITY BERBER ETHNIC GROUP.<BR>
<BR>
<B>(8) ON MARCH 1, 1999</B>, A SEVERED HEAD WAS FOUND IN A RICHMOND, VA PAR=
K. &nbsp;THE VICTIM WAS A GAY MAN. THE PARK HAD BEEN THE SITE FOR SEVERAL MO=
NTHS OF A POLICE &#8220;STING&#8221;: &nbsp;UNDERCOVER OFFICERS HAD BEEN APP=
ROACHING GAY MEN, PROPOSING SEX, THEN PROMPTLY ARRESTING THOSE WHO SHOWED IN=
TEREST. THE ARRESTS WERE WIDELY REPORTED. THE PUBLICITY GIVEN THEM MAY WELL =
HAVE ENCOURAGED THE MURDERER. &nbsp;WHY THE MANY PLAINCLOTHES OFFICERS PRESE=
NT IN THE PARK ON THE NIGHT OF THE MURDER FAILED TO SEE ANYTHING IS ANYONE&#=
8217;S GUESS.<BR>
<BR>
IN CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA, IN NORTH AFRICA AND EUROPE, AMNESTY INTERNATI=
ONAL AND THE INTERNATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION REPORT CA=
SE AFTER CASE OF RAPE, TORTURE AND MURDER INVOLVING TRANSGENDER AND BISEXUAL=
, LESBIAN AND GAY PERSONS, ALL TOO OFTEN BY POLICE.<BR>
<BR>
>From Cape Town to Ramallah and Queens, this state of affairs is drawing the=
 attention of artists. In an age of mass media and cleavage to the status qu=
o, voices, images, sounds are emerging that speak of this violence with powe=
r and outrage. <B>Right2Fight</B> showcases an important international group=
 of cultural producers whose work stands at the forefront of this movement.<=

<BR>
<B>Right2Fight</B> is an emphatically cross-disciplinary undertaking: from =
web-based projects to graffiti, from sculpture to video, installations to st=
reet wear, Hip Hop to posters, experimental music and photography to perform=
ance poetry. The event's contributors speak as few can to the social and eth=
ical costs of police violence, to the dangers inherent in &nbsp;allowing suc=
h violence to proliferate, and to the responsibility we share, as individual=
s and communities, to denounce and battle it in all its manifestations. <BR>
<B><BR>
Right2Fight</B> is not a symposium. It is a constellation of spoken word in=
terventions, performances, film and video screenings, installations, showing=
s of net art and web-based pieces intended to prompt dialogue and questions.=
<BR>
<BR>
This day-long collision of ideas, technologies and images seeks to transcen=
d mere catharsis. The goal is not to satisfy neo-liberal guilt but to engage=
 in concrete action. Activists and representatives of human rights organizat=
ions dedicated to ending police violence will be present to explain their wo=
rk. Those who wish will learn, here, how they can become actively involved i=
n the fight, channeling their emotions into actions, their words into deeds.=
<BR>
<BR>
<B>Right2Fight</B> is not an indictment of all police officers. It does, ho=
wever, condemn the brutality to which more than a few law enforcement commun=
ities resort. In light of recent events, the organizers hold, it is more imp=
ortant than ever to address issues of intolerance, prejudice and violence.<B=

<BR>
In the US and abroad, these have a disproportionate impact on the poor and =
marginalized. Millions suffer, die, are broken daily. Against this, its dehu=
manizing effects and causes, <B>Right2Fight </B>takes aim.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Contributors include:<BR>
</B><BR>
<B>Pam Africa</B> (Philadelphia)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Chris Bratton</B> (Chicago)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Camerata New York<BR>
</B><BR>
<B>Robbie Conal </B>(San Francisco)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Adam de Croix</B> (Brooklyn)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Dee Curry</B> (NewYork)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Graff</B> (New York)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Ashley Hunt </B>(Brooklyn)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Emily Jacir </B>(Bethlehem/Brooklyn)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Carol Jacobsen </B>(Ann Arbor)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Richard Kamler</B> (San Francisco)<BR>
<B><BR>
Jared Katsiane</B> (Boston)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Deborah Kelly</B> (Sydney)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Goddy Leye</B> (Amsterdam/Yaounde)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Mr. Lif </B>(Boston) <BR>
<BR>
<B>Malam </B>(Douala)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Brad McCallum</B> and <B>Jacqueline Tarry </B>(Brooklyn)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Julia Melzer </B>and <B>Liz Canner</B> (Los Angeles/Boston)<BR>
<BR>
<B>No One Is Illegal </B>(Germany)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Sally O&#8217;Brien</B> (New York City)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Pass-Fix </B>(Munich)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Horit Peled</B> (Tel Aviv)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Jenny Perlin</B> (Brooklyn)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Picture Projects</B> (New York City)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Lesego Rampolokeng </B>(Soweto)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Oliver Ressler </B>(Vienna)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Martha Rosler</B> (Brooklyn)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Jayce Salloum</B> (Vancouver)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Dread Scott</B> (Brooklyn)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Sara Scully and Jessica Rockstar</B> (New York City)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Trebor Scholz</B> (Berlin/Brooklyn)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Gregory Sholette </B>(Chicago)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Merian Soto and Pepon Osorio </B>(Bronx)<BR>
<BR>
<B>DJ SKI HI </B>(Bronx)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Stolen Lives Project </B>(USA)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Herve Yamguen </B>(Douala)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Herve Youmbi </B>(Douala)<BR>
<BR>
The event's organizers are an urban historian who works in Central Africa a=
nd teaches at Sarah Lawrence College (<B>Dominique Malaquais</B>) and a Broo=
klyn based, East Berlin-born interdisciplinary artist whose work has been ex=
tensively shown in Europe and the Americas (<B>Trebor Scholz</B>). The two s=
hare a commitment to tactical media, street activism and visual culture. Bot=
h curate, speak and publish widely, focusing on issues of social concern and=
 the everyday.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
* &nbsp;&nbsp;Inke Arns, posting to the &#8220;Spectre&#8221; online mailin=
g list, 3/9/02.<BR>
<BR>
** Neil Websdale, <I>Policing the Poor</I>. &nbsp;Boston: &nbsp;Northeaster=
n University Press, 2001. <BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
<I>Contact</I>: Dominique Malaquais &lt;malaquais@yahoo.com&gt;<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;Trebor Scholz &lt;treborscholz@earthlink.net&gt;<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><FO=
NT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>