[spectre] 15 projects selected by the Daniel Langlois Foundation

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck@transmediale.de
Wed, 8 May 2002 17:14:40 +0200

hey honor,

>> >THE DANIEL LANGLOIS FOUNDATION GRANTS NEARLY HALF A MILLION TO 15 PROJECTS
>http://www.fondation-langlois.org/f/informations/nouvelles/comm_projets_2002.ht
>ml
>
>it is interesting to note that only two of the 15 projects awarded funding
>support is from outside the US or canada.  this is quite striking, in light
>of Langlois Foundation's international focus.

as i was on the jury, i can answer this as well.

in fact, it was painful to see this when we had done the first selection of
projects that were eligible (*many* were not), projects that seemed to have
a chance of completion (*many* appeared not to), and projects that could be
judged at all on the basis of the application and supporting material. we
were at a bit of a loss to see that the ability to produce an even only
formally correct application was much more visible in the north-american
projects, a fact that may reflect both the way people are trained, and the
kind of applications that the call attracted this year. there was no bias
for north-american projects, to the contrary, we were in many cases more
leanient in relation to the projects from other regions of the world. i can
only affirm that the process was as fair, open-minded and driven by
curiosity as we could be.

we felt that we awarded a series of strong, individual, original and
realistic artists' projects which fit under the mission of the foundation.
we would have been glad to have more projects from a greater diversity of
countries on that list, but after all, we had only the submissions to work
from ...

this is the first year that there is a separation in the FDL between grants
for institutions and grants for individual artists, and we expressed the
hope that people from other regions will score higher in the 'institutions'
programme (deadline 30 june).

best regards,
-a