[spectre] on Palestine

Michael Benson michael.benson@pristop.si
Fri, 10 May 2002 00:26:47 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C1F7B9.5EA88F40

And then everybody's thoughts turned to revenge. They had plenty of =
precedent: the entire history of the race, not just their race but the =
human race, exposed in memory like a photographic print gathering =
darkness the further back into time it reaches, a temporal negative. The =
watched the images of tanks creaking ominously as they were backed down =
ramps from the massive carriers in the desert, and pledged revenge. =
(They also considered these fuming, immediate, intensely terrifying =
things in themselves. Not the shots. _We_ watched the shots, on =
television.) And saw the shells crashing into civilian settlements, and =
pledged revenge. And surveyed the exploded glass scattered across the =
cobblestones, the carnage, the terminally crashed hopes, and considered =
the possibilities. And plotted and planned and surveyed and schemed and =
did all those things that twine like thorns, or the DNA spiral itself, =
through our collective memories and dreams and, not least, throughout =
recorded (that is, recoded) history. And it wasn't good. It was a bloody =
mess.=20

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C1F7B9.5EA88F40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>And then everybody's thoughts turned to revenge. They had plenty of =

precedent: the entire history of the race, not just their race but the =
human=20
race, exposed in memory like a photographic print gathering darkness the =
further=20
back into time it reaches, a temporal negative. The watched =
the&nbsp;images of=20
tanks creaking ominously as they were backed down ramps from the massive =

carriers in the desert, and pledged revenge. (They&nbsp;also considered =
these=20
fuming, immediate, intensely terrifying&nbsp;things&nbsp;in themselves. =
Not the=20
shots. _We_ watched the shots, on television.) And&nbsp;saw the shells =
crashing=20
into civilian settlements, and pledged revenge. And surveyed the =
exploded glass=20
scattered across the cobblestones, the carnage, the terminally crashed =
hopes,=20
and considered the possibilities. And plotted and planned and surveyed =
and=20
schemed and did all those things that twine like thorns, or&nbsp;the DNA =
spiral=20
itself, through our collective memories and dreams and, not least, =
throughout=20
recorded (that is, recoded) history. And it wasn't&nbsp;good. It was a =
bloody=20
mess.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C1F7B9.5EA88F40--