[spectre] please stop sending this mail

darko fritz fritz.d at chello.nl
Sun Apr 13 04:09:54 CEST 2003

dear all

> in contrat mediterranian/s are all about sharing (culture, arts,
> sea, coast, vine, kitchen/recipes, songs afterwards, and whatsoever what
> *we* use to do and/or how we behave) in the broadest common sense.

here is the *straight* one from the east. popular meal in different versions
and upgrades all over the balkan incl. northen adriatic cost - a ***deep***
zone of overlaping baklan + mediterran at least.

   Stuffed peppers

Ingredients: 8 green peppers . boiling water
For the stuffing: 2 tablespoons oil . 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped .
300 g minced meat, preferably pork (beef is a good substitute or half and
half) . 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped . 100 g rice, partially cooked .
1 egg . salt, pepper to taste
For the sauce: 1 kg fresh or tinned tomatoes . 2 1/2 tablespoons of oil . 40
g flour . sugar to taste
For the garnish: 125 g sour cream

   Wash the green peppers. Carefully remove the stem and scoop out the seeds
from the top.
Pour boiling water over the peppers to soften them a little. Drain off the
water.
Prepare the stuffing as follows. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan
and gently saute the finely chopped onion and parsley for 2-3 minutes over
medium heat. Now add the minced meat and fry for a further 10 minutes,
stirring the mixture from time to time. Remove the frying pan from the heat
and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the partially cooked rice and break
an egg into it. Season well with salt and pepper. Divide it into 8 parts and
fill the peppers with it.
   Next, make the sauce. Wash the tomatoes (no need if using tinned
tomatoes). Roughly chop them up and put into a saucepan. Cook till they have
softened. Pass them through a sieve or blender. Keep aside. In a clean
saucepan, heat 2 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Add the flour and gently brown it
in the oil. Pour in the pureed tomatoes and give it a good stir. Cook till
the sauce thickens a bit. Add salt and a little sugar.
   Arrange the peppers in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan and pour the sauce
over them. Make sure that the peppers are well covered by the sauce. If not,
add a little water. Let the peppers simmer gently on low heat for 40 minutes
till they are just cooked. Serve hot with dollops of sour cream spooned over
the top as garnish and accompanied with a bowl of mashed potatoes.

   Potato Purée (to accompany the stuffed peppers)
Ingredients: 1 kg potatoes . 75 g sour cream . 30 g butter . 50 g single
cream . salt to taste
   Scrub and wash the potatos. Do not peel them. Place in a pan, cover with
cold water and cook over high heat for 30 minutes. When ready, peal them in
a bowl. Do not cool the potatoes as they absorb the flavours of the other
ingredients better when they are hot. Purée them using a hand mixer; it is
quicker and gives a smoother result. Slowly add all the other ingredients.
Serve hot with the stuffed peppers.

> From: "astrëe galbiatta .vnatrc.net." <astreegalbiatta at vnatrc.net>
> Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 05:37:22 +0200 (CEST)
> To: darko fritz <fritz.d at chello.nl>