[spectre] B92: Invitation for a Dialogue between the Media and the Government

geert lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 24 16:28:08 CEST 2003

From: <mediawatch at lists.opennet.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 6:42 AM
Subject: Invitation for a Dialogue between the Media and the Government

Belgrade, April 24, 2003

Invitation for a Dialogue between the Media and the Government

Concerned about deepening misunderstandings and incidents between the
representatives of the journalistic profession and the senior government
officials, which particularly came to the fore under the state of emergency,
we, the undersigned editors-in-chief of major Serbian media, call on the
authorities to discuss all crucial problems with the media representatives
in a tolerant and democratic atmosphere.

We would like to propose the following issues for discussion with the
representatives of the Serbian parliament, the Serbian Government and the
state agencies:

1. The consequences of the passage of vital media laws under the state of
emergency. Above all, we refer to the Public Information Act and the
appointment of Public Broadcast Council members.

2. The state's tax policy with respect to the media.

3. Experiences of presenting the information to the media through government
briefings under the state of emergency. We believe it is of utmost
importance to review and analyse all the problems occurring under the state
of emergency and the subsequent consequences.

4. All illegal and unprincipled actions taken against the media under the
state o emergency should be placed under scrutiny.

5. Discussion about the attitude of government officials to the media, with
particular emphasis on the threats levelled at some media editors.

We expect of the Government the following:

That the government propose amendments to the Information Act which would
rule out regulations not agreed to by the architects of the media
legislation, particularly regulations which are significantly different from
the proposals of the drafters and which may result in unfair competition.
An example of this is the unheralded amendment which gives the state the
right to establish its own news agency;

That the government support the demand of media associations to dismiss the
two illegally-appointed members of the Broadcast Agency Council;

That evidence be produced for any allegations published about media
companies and journalists.  Failing this there must be apologies,
compensation for damage, and, if this is the case, the government must
determine responsibility within the government for causing such problems. At
the same time, we are ready to review and analyse ourselves what was and has
been happening within our own profession;

That sales taxes on newspapers be urgently reduced.  This is several times
higher than rates in Europe and neighbouring countries and has brought
publishers in Serbia to the edge of bankruptcy.

In the belief that the Serbian Government and the authorised parliamentary
organs will accept the invitation for a dialogue about the issues and
proposals stated above, we remain at your disposal.

Dragan Janjic, editor in chief of Beta agency
Slavoljub Kacarevic, editor in chief of daily Glas javnosti
Mijat Lakicevic, editor in chief of magazine Ekonomist
Veran Matic, editor in chief of RTV B92
Lila Radonjic, editor in chief of Production Group Mreza
Dusan Radulovic, editor in chief of Radio Beograd, I program
Slobodan Reljic, editor in chief of weekly NIN
Zoran Sekulic, editor in chief of Fonet agency
Veselin Simonovic, editor in chief of daily Blic
Nebojsa Spaic, editor in chief of Radio Beograd 202
Grujica Spasovic, editor in chief of daily Danas
Gordana Susa, editor of Independent TV Production VIN
Dragoljub Zarkovic, editor in chief of weekly Vreme