[spectre] AN OPEN LETTER FROM ARTISTS (IMCD)

geert lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 7 20:08:18 CEST 2003

From: Tammy Ballantyne (tammyb at artslink.co.za)

INCD CALLS FOR NAMES FOR LETTER

The International Network for Cultural Diversity (INCD) intends to release
in Cancun at the 5th Ministerial Meeting in September, a letter signed by
leading international artists that calls on the governments of the world to
refrain from making commitments in trade negotiations that would restrict
their ability to implement cultural policies and to support the proposed new
Convention.

I have attached the letter for your information (I also have it in French).
My job is to gather signatures of leading international artists who will
endorse the letter. I need your assistance in finding high profile artists
who would be willing to put their names to the letter, do you have any
suggestions/leads/contact details for me in this regard? I need to make
contact before August 15.

I would appreciate your assistance and look forward to hearing from you.

warm regards

Tammy

Recommendations of internationally renowned artists from all disciplines
(music, literature, film, theatre, dance, visual art, new media etc) who
would support this letter are being accepted by the Secretariat. Please
send accurate contact information for the artist by August 15, 2003 to
tammyb at artslink.co.za

Tammy Ballantyne
PANSA National Coordinator
Tel/Fax: +27 (0)11 880 5486
Cell: 083 440 4984
Postnet Suite 114, Private Bag X7,
Parkview, 2122, JHB, South Africa
E-mail: tammyb at artslink.co.za

--

AN OPEN LETTER FROM ARTISTS

PROJECTED RELEASE DATE - 1 SEPTEMBER 2003

It is time to secure the rights of artists globally.  These rights are at
risk because international trade courts are ruling on artistic matters.

We are artists and citizens of the global village.  We come from every
community and work in all artistic fields.  Through our words, music, films,
dance, paintings and plays, in every language on earth, we entertain, inform
and engage our fellow citizens in the adventure of being human.

It is an exciting time to be an artist.  Technologies can overcome physical
distance and allow our works to be shared more widely than ever before.
We have the potential to exchange and blend our rich diversity of cultural
practices in ways our ancestors could only imagine.

It is also a dangerous time.  Many human conflicts arise from a failure to
recognize cultural complexities or from perceived threats to cultural
values.  The road to security and prosperity requires that we celebrate and
encourage our cultural diversity and embrace and respect our cultural
differences.

Some believe artistic creations are no different from conventional goods and
services and they deny or ignore the powerful cultural importance of works
of the human imagination.  For some of the world's largest corporations,
artistic works are commodities to be bought and sold like any other.  They
seek to dominate the world's markets with homogenized forms of popular
culture and thus marginalize artists in many of our communities.

Our world of unequal economic relationships has created unequal cultural
relationships.  We believe governments have a responsibility to resist the
economic push by implementing policies that support diverse local artists
and cultural producers, and ensure pluralism in the media and the arts.
This will create more choice and bring about a greater balance in exchange
between cultures.  Governments must also preserve threatened cultures and
languages, especially those of indigenous peoples.

An important struggle between these incompatible visions is underway in
trade negotiations.  Trade officials negotiate rules that would hasten a
global monoculture and make it virtually impossible for communities to
support their artists.  We oppose these efforts.

At the same time, discussions have started within and outside UNESCO to
develop a new global Convention on Cultural Diversity to provide a legal
foundation for government measures that support cultural diversity and to
encourage governments to use that authority domestically.  We support this
initiative.

As artists, we come from different disciplines; as citizens, we come from
different countries.  But, we are united in our call to the world's leaders:

  a.. don't bargain away culture in trade talks
  b.. implement a legally binding Convention on Cultural Diversity
  c.. use your powers to support diverse local artists and cultural
producers
  d.. help those countries that don't yet have the capacity to bring their
stories, music and other artistic expressions to audiences everywhere.

 "I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be
stuffed.  I want the cultures of all lands to be blown about my house as
freely as possible.  But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any."

Mahatma Gandhi, from the wall of his ashram at Ahmedabad