[spectre] club_transmediale.03

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck@transmediale.de
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:33:37 +0100

Newsletter 06.01.2002

transmediale.03

[play global!]

Artistic Strategies for the Global Game

More program information at

http://www.transmediale.de

club_transmediale

1. club_transmediale.03

2. [go east!] Main Focus: Eastern Europe

3. Opening

4. Strategies & Statements

5. Spatial Sound

6. Abstract Algebra

7. Dis-Locate

8. Globalphonics

9. International Standard

10. Installations

11. Partner Events

1. club_transmediale.03

club_transmediale is the media art festivals experimental platform
for new forms of electronic music and media art used in sound and
club culture. It now appears for the fourth time at the newly opened
club Maria am Ufer. Additionally to the festivals motto [play
global!] club_transmediale.03 draws special attention to the new and
emerging Eastern European electronic music scenes with its special
program [go east!]. The ever increasing convergence of the various
media formats has been of steady concern for club_transmediale
throughout the years. Outstanding electronic music productions in
combination and in dialogue with video, motion graphics or
visualising software will be shown on nine nights. At the beginning
of each night different topics related to the festival will be
approached in lectures, presentations, panels or screenings. This
newsletter presents selected highlights. For the entire program
please visit our website:
<http://www.clubtransmediale.de/>http://www.clubtransmediale.de

club_transmediale

January 31 until February 8, 2003

Maria am Ufer | An der Schillingbruecke | Berlin-Friedrichshain

Public transport: S-Bahn Ostbahnhof, Night Bus N44 or N65

Open daily from 21:00 hrs, except for festivals opening night: Jan.
31, 22:00 hrs

Admission: At box office 8 - 12 EUR / club_transmediales festival pass 45 EU=

2. [go east!] Main Focus: Eastern Europe

The program presents projects from the newly established electronic
music scenes in eastern Europe. Audio-visual performances from most
interesting artists working in that area between international
compatibility and individual efforts within local networks, shall
give us a broader perspective of our eastern neighbours.
club_transmediale presents 25 artists from six eastern European
countries:

AKUVIDO (UA)

BELGRADEYARD SOUNDSYSTEM (YU)

BOJAN MANDIC (HR)

COH (RU)

DJ SWOPORCHESTRA (RU)

EU (RU)

GAMEBOYZZ ORCHESTRA PROJECT (PL)

KLUTCH (RU)

KOTRA (UA)

LAZYFISH (RU)

MIK MUSIK featuring MOLR DRAMMAZ, 8ROLEK, RETRO SEX GALAXY, DEUCE,
KSAWERY KALISKI (PL)

OCTEX (SI)

POLYCEPHAL featuring NEUROBOT (Facial Index, Podletz, Wolfram), VIOEN
& MEM (Vioen, Membrana) (PL)

SIGNAL TERRITORIES (SI)

SOLAR X (RU)

>  Performances on Friday 31.01., Saturday  01.02., Sunday 02.02,
>Monday 03.02., Tuesday 04.02., Friday 07.02., Saturday 08.02. -
>Maria am Ufer

>  Performance on transmediales opening night, Friday 31.01. House of
>World Cultures

>  Performance at [sound service], Saturday 01.02. - Podewil

Susanna Niedermayr (AT), journalist for the Austrian Radio and
Television and founder of line_in:line_out-platform, will hold a
lecture introducing the experimental music of eastern Europe and its
most important protagonists. She will present her new book made,
co-written by Christian Scheib (AT) and based on long-term research,
that gives an overview on new music production in eastern Europe.
Afterwards she will host a discussion with the participating artists.

>  Saturday 01.02., Maria am Ufer, 21:00 hrs

The curators Olga Egorova (RU) and Dmitry Vilensky (RU)
(FEZAprojects) compiled a screening program called [music=B4s power]
for club_transmediale.03 with music video clips of Russian artists.

>  Thursday 06.02., Maria am Ufer, 21:00 hrs

By reason of the [go east !] program, Slovenian label rx:tx decided
to release a CD compilation with exclusive works from the
participating artists.

<http://www.rx-tx.org/>http://www.rx-tx.org

3. Opening

club_transmediale.03 opens with Baunummer 1077, a heavy physical
sound performance by the Dutch group DAC an sonic resonance scanning
the space with feedback loops. The ensuing program [perfect timing]
is a very special titbit for friends of brilliant motion graphics and
a functional but advanced base drum: Thomas Brinkmann, Thomas
=46ehlmann, Thomas Franzmann, Octex and T.Raumschmiere are all famous
for their tremendous minimal shifts within the 4/4-scheme. Swiss
Graphic designers Buero Destruct team up with CUE - Institute of
Contemporary Urban Encounters, to create a visual environment that
defies against the aesthetic hegemony of the corporate world
featuring elements of their Loslogos project - The Society for the
Conservation of Urban Visual Heritage. Taking famous NGOs as a model,
the Loslogos project engages in the protection of endangered signs
and characters and collects the world wide variety of unique logos
and characters to perpetuate them from displacement by the logos of a
few global players.

Thomas Mann feat.

THOMAS BRINKMANN (DE)

THOMAS FEHLMANN (CH)

THOMAS FRANZMANN aka DIMBIMAN (DE)

OCTEX (SI)

T.RAUMSCHMIERE (DE)

metropolitan environment projected by CUE and BUERO DESTRUCT (CH)

>  Friday 31.01., Maria am Ufer, 22:00 hrs

4. Strategies & Statements

The panel [strategies], realised in co-operation with German daily
taz - die tageszeitung, shall investigate how far political and
social themes can be commented through electronic music, noise and
audio art. It focuses on works consisting of sound documents, field
recordings etc. To what extend can sounds make significant statements
without using words or musiciansimages?

DIEDRICH DIEDRICHSEN (author, critic, DE)

PETER KRAUT (organiser Taktlos, Bern, journalist NZZ, CH)

members of  ULTRA RED (audio activists, US)

TED GAIER (musician Die Goldenen Zitronen, DE)

MERCEDES BUNZ (journalist, de:bug, DE)

Moderation: SEBASTIAN HANDKE (journalist, taz, DE)

>  Sunday 02.02., Maria am Ufer, 21:00 hrs

The program [statements] features four different examples: ULTRA RED
(US) continues its collaboration/confrontation with members of the
network KANAK ATTAK (DE), dealing with issues like migration, social
relations and political organisation, which started at the exhibition
'Frequenzen [HZ]' in Frankfurt 2002. RANDOM INC. (DE) aka Sebastian
Meissner and the sound and video artists ERAN SACHS (IL) and RAN
SLAVIN (IL) will stage the Jerusalem"-project, digitally processed
materials from historical sound recordings made by Jewish and
Palestinian musicians as well as field recordings collected in and
out of Jerusalem, "creating an utopian moment in which these two
music cultures can co-exist in their own environments". SIGNAL
TERRITORIES (SI) is an ongoing project by members of Project Atol,
Pact Systems and Random Logic from Slovenia. Their composition is
produced entirely with SIGINT (signals intelligence) material mixed
with telecommunications traffic by satellites, broadcast services and
amateur networks. By making the monopoly controlled data avaible to
the public they also demonstrate how it can be shared. DOMENICO
SCIAJNO (IT), contemporary composer from Italy, will perform the
audio-visual piece 'Globaliz8 FX', constructed solely from
documentary material taken at the incidents around the G8 meeting in
Genova, 2001. BORIS HEGENBART (DE) plays a set of dense
sound-miniatures recorded at various places all over the world. He
documented private and intimate encounters of man and object,
confronting them with arbitrary computer-music. Thus he opens an
associative trans-cultural space which is filled with the ambiguous
relation between human gesture and the structure of processing
technology.

ULTRA RED + members of KANAK ATTAK network (DE)

RANDOM INC. feat. ERAN SACHS (IL); RAN SLAVIN (IL)

SIGNAL TERRITORIES (SI)

DOMENICO SCIAJNO (IT)

BORIS HEGENBART (DE)

>  Sunday 02.02., Maria am Ufer, 23:00 hrs

5. Spatial Sound

Presentation of a new sound system for real time distribution of
sounds within a space based on a technique called "Wave Field
Synthesis". The research project is a co-operation between the TU
Delft and the TU Berlin and is presented by the developers MARIJE
BAALMAN (NL) and FOLKMAR HEIN (DE).

<>emt.emt.iis.fhg.de/projects/carrouso/ | www.soundcontroll.tudelft.nl

Ensued by a demonstration of the system with commissioned compositions by:

ROBERT LIPPOK (Torococorot, DE)

=46RIEDER BUTZMANN (DE)

CHRISTIAN CONRAD (Rechenzentrum / DE)

BORIS HEGENBART (DE)

MARC LINGK (DE)

MARIJE BAALMAN (NL)

MARKUS SCHNEIDER (DE) + Visualisation by PIETRO SANGUINETI (DE)

ILKA THEURICH (DE)

>  Tuesday 04.02., Maria am Ufer, 21:00 hrs

6. Abstract Algebra

Probably the most abstract performance of club_transmediale.03:
Computer-generated sound and images, mathematical compositions that
penetrates deep into the physical basics of sound and image
materials. Antoine Schmitt shows autonomous, audio-visual, code
generated machines called Nanoensembles. COH from Russia will perform
a solo set before teaming up with the computer artists Gideon Kiers
and Lucas van der Velden for the live-cinema performance TELCOH
(=3DTelco Systems + COH). In the name of Minuszero the latter will
provide additional visualisation for the rest of the night with
software-generated vector animations. Ukrainian artist Kotras
rhythms, consisting of small sound-particles, are a synthesis of
constructivism and noise, being translated into images by Akuvido.
Pan Sonic=B4s almost unlimited ability to control the physical
structures of sound result in hypnotic listening experiences.
Lazyfish from Moscow combines his post-industrial roots with dub and
techno.

AKUVIDO (UA)

ANTOINE SCHMITT (FR)

TELCOH feat. COH (RU), TELCO (NL)

COH (RU)

PAN SONIC (FI)

KOTRA (UA) + visualisation by AKUVIDO (UA)

LAZYFISH (RU)

visuals MINUSZERO (NL)

>  Tuesday 04.02., Maria am Ufer, 23:00 hrs

7. Dis-Locate

The program starts with a new lecture by DAVID TOOP (GB) caused by
the motto [play global!]. Afterwards SCANNER aka Robin Rimbaud (GB)
and TONNE (GB) will present their joint project Sound Polaroids.
TONNE also presents his interactive software Soundtoys, a sample
based sequencer program, which intuitively combines audio with video.
Scanners role could best be described as that of a Trojan horse: With
his obsessive interest in the interface of human communication with
telecommunication technology he transforms invisible data streams
into audible spaces. Douglas Benford aka SI-CUT.DB (GB) is the other
half of The Sprawl, a record label, a club and an important host for
experimental music in the UK. As a musician he published two albums
on the French label Bip Hop, located between dub and electronica.
MENU/EXIT (DE) is a project by Marc Wagner, who runs Berlin's
Underscan label, publishing Gram, Scanner and others.

SCANNER (GB)

SI-CUT.dB (GB)

TONNE (GB)

MENU / EXIT  (DE)

visuals TRANSFORMA (DE)

>  Wednesday 05.02., Maria am Ufer, 21:00 hrs

8. Globalphonics

The program combines lectures and performances of ironic sound art
and audio-visual experiments working with collage and sampling
techniques, with found footage and field recordings - in short: a
critical and humorous re-use of mass culture. The program covers
issues of media-literacy, creative and humorous anti-corporate
art/activism, the role of advertising and corporate power in our
lives, intellectual property issues, and the evolution of art, law
and resistance in a media saturated multinational world.

MARK HOSLER (US) - [NEGATIVLAND: OUR FAVORITE THINGS] Film / Lecture

KEIN BABEL (DE)

JOHN OSWALD & SUSANNA HOOD (CA) - [SPINVOLVER] Performance

2/5 BZ (TU)

PEOPLE LIKE US (GB)

SAFY SNIPER (IL)

>  Thursday 06.02., Maria am Ufer, 22:00 hrs

9. International Standard

Superior technique combined with a conceptual approach: Within the
boundaries of the functional 4/4-scheme, subtle transformations lead
to new sound adventures. These projects fuse the academic tradition
of self-made instruments or software with the experiences gathered on
the dancefloors around the world. So the last sceptic shall be
convinced that beyond dreadful mainstream there is an ambitious
international standard in dance music.

MONOLAKE (DE) feat. ALEXEJ PARYLA (DE)

CONTINUOUS MODE (DE)

ARE DEE (CH)

JACEK SIENKIEWICZ (PL)

BEN NEVILE (CA)

AKUFEN (CA)

ELOUT DE KOK (NL)

ALEXEJ PARYLA (DE)

>  Saturday 08.02., Maria am Ufer, 23:00 hrs

10. Installations

At its venue Maria am Ufer club_transmediale.03 presents several
installations that describe pop culture as a mass product of the
cultural industry in the gap between exciting games and terrifying
visions. Works by A. Aroma (DE), Arno Coenen (NL), Daniel Lorenzi +
Monica Germann (CH), Ben Pruskin (GB), Birgit Ramsauer (DE), Pietro
Sanguineti + Markus Schneider (DE), Robert Pravda (NL),
monitor.automatique (DE) and Jan Rohlf  & Maverick (DE).

11. Partner Events

Parallel to the events of club_transmediale, Berlins galerie wieland
will be showing the Swiss graphics/ art collective Schoenwehrs
together with Juerg Lehni. The graffiti-robot Hektor, developed by
Juerg Lehni, will produce a large scale mural work.

http://www.galerie-wieland.de

During the festival the [SOUND SERVICE] exhibition at Podewil
presents soundart installations by Philip Samartzis (AU), Kim Cascone
(US) and others, as well as artists appearing at club_transmediale:
Ultra Red (US), Random Inc. (DE) and Ralph Steinbruechel (CH).
Additionally [SOUND SERVICE] offers workshops and concerts with
artists from the Polish label Polycephal among others.

<http://www.podewil.de/>http://www.podewil.de

transmediale.03

[play global!]

1 - 5 february 2003