[spectre] Outside In - symposium on the use of public space (August 28/ 29, 2003 Göteborg)

geert lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 16 09:32:30 CEST 2003

From: "ramia mazé" <ramia.maze at interactiveinstitute.se>

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

* outside in
* emerging expressions, interventions and participation in public space

* symposium to be held: August 28 & 29, 2003 in Göteborg, Sweden
* workshop submission deadline: August 1, 2003
* download the submission template at: www.outsidein.se

In recent years, emerging technologies and policies have transformed notions
of public space. Mobile phones, surveillance systems and electronic barriers
affect how we spend our time, where we go and how we express ourselves. What
are the new perceptions of our cities and public spaces? What are aesthetic,
cultural and social implications? What is the impact on creative practices,
technology development and civic stakeholders? What are the emerging tactics
and processes for public engagement? What are the opportunities for
expression, intervention and participation? 'outside in' is a forum for
involving new voices, media and practices in a discourse about the use of
public space.

Over 2 days, 'outside in' will promote reflection, participation and action
in public space. Featured will be major international voices in public art
and graffiti, design and architecture, activism and urban planning, social
sciences and politics. Combining presentations, panel discussions, and
participatory workshops, symposium activities are intended to engage people
from a wide variety of disciplines in sharing and creating together.
Accepted submissions will be published in symposium proceedings and all
attendees will contribute to a public exhibition during the symposium. We
invite participation from designers, artists, musicians, sociologists,
activists, theoreticians, policy-makers, community workers, educators S and
everyone concerned with access, design, and use of public space today!

* Themes *

Public Access
- new medias and technologies for public use
- public forums in virtual or digital realms
- presence, access, and participation in new medias
- local/global, public/private concerns
- re-invention of geography, architecture & public space with new media

Beyond Utility
- design beyond efficiency
- designing for new genres and modalities
- open systems and adaptable products
- designing for appropriation & sustainability
- experimental design methods and processes

Civic (mis)behaviors
- new roles and voices in the public sphere
- expression, community, and collectivism
- emerging tactics, strategies & forms of authorship
- stakeholders and coalitions in public projects
- the front line between freedom and protection

* Workshop Submissions *

We invite submissions for participation in workshops! Workshops will be held
for 4 hours over 2 days and will focus on the symposium themes from an
interdisciplinary perspective.

Submissions should include the following:
* Name, Country, Affiliation (if applicable)
* Contact email
* Website address (if applicable)
* 250-300 word statement of interest AND|OR media (we accept digital images,
mp3s, and digital video submissions)

Submissions Due: August 1, 2003
Send by email to submit at outsidein.se

* Organizers *

'outside in' is hosted by the PLAY studio of the Interactive Institute
and will be held at Röda Sten in Göteborg, Sweden. Further information can
be obtained at www.outsidein.se or through info at outsidein.se.

The Interactive Institute is an innovation-oriented research organization
investigating the impact of digital media for society, politics, industry
and culture in the future. Comprised of several studios spread throughout
Sweden, the Institute supports collaboration between art, technology,
science and enterprise in the development of digital media concepts,
products and entrepreneurship. The PLAY studio in Göteborg focuses on
experimental design for everyday life with themes focusing particularly on
textiles, game patterns and public space.

Contacts
Margot Jacobs, margot.jacobs at tii.se
Ramia Mazé, ramia.maze at tii.se

* About Röda Sten *

The goal of Project Röda Sten is to develop the surrounding area into a
Nordic cultural center for art, theatre, music and dance and to hold
international exhibitions of the highest caliber. Röda Sten is a cultural
landmark that lies at the sea entrance of the city. Once housing a huge
industrial boiler, Röda Sten is an exceptional center of the arts today.
Inside Röda Sten, a dynamic space offers opportunities to create works of
large scale while the outside of the building remains a free zone for the
graffiti artists of Göteborg. This unconventional exhibition space sets the
scene for daring, ground -breaking explorations to take place.

Contact Röda Sten!
phone +46 31120816
e-mail info at rodasten.com