[spectre] E Narrative 2003 round table. Boston, May 10/11

Alexei Shulgin alexei at easylife.org
Sun Mar 30 17:40:58 CEST 2003

Eastgate Systems presents their fifth conference in a series: eNarrative 2003, an eclectic and
engaging roundtable being held in Boston - May 10/11.
www.enarrative.org

Eastgate Systems builds hypertext tools and publishes original hypertexts. For twenty years we've
believed that the future of serious writing lies on the screen.
http://www.eastgate.com

----------------------------

E Narrative 2003

While under the rubric of narrative, the conference is hardly confined to it; eNarrative is a
small gathering of active creators - software designers, new media artists, filmmakers, writers,
critics and scholars - assembling to explore and advance the art of interaction. It is not the
typical long slate of lectures and sales presentations, but a dynamic discussion among a small
group of dedicated and deeply engaged experts. eNarrative 2003 promises a weekend of intellectual
and aesthetic stimulation, investigating new developments in the electronic arts and their
applications to business, personal growth and the work-in-progress known as culture.

People will include:
    .Dave Winer, weblog pioneer and creator of Radio Userland
    .Meg Hourihan, co-author of We Blog
    .George Fifield, founder/director of Boston Cyberarts Festival
    .Mark Bernstein, creator of Tinderbox
    .George P. Landow, author of Hypertext 2.0

Topics will include:
    .Better weblogs - the electronic world as performance space
    .Serial art and literary hypertext
    .Interaction design, information architecture, "information farming"

The weekend will be colorful, as the conference is being held amidst and in conjunction with the
Boston Cyberarts Festival, an international biennial celebration featuring exhibitions and
performances by cutting-edge artists working with new technologies in all media.
http://www.bostoncyberarts.org

eNarrative 2003 takes place at the Hotel at MIT. The Saturday afternoon session of the conference
will be open to the public, convening at the Boston Public Library.

In contemporary culture the most exciting work often emerges from the fuzzy edges of genres, where
narrative meets the visual and the sonic; where performance goes virtual; where theory looks like
art; where code transcends itself and spawns new reality. eNarrative 2003 will probe the frontiers
of self-expression, scholarship, digital 'content' and communal connectivity, looking for new
models with which culture can reinvent itself.

I hope you will consider joining us, and perhaps even disseminating news of this event to your
members.  I will try to contact you in the coming weeks to see what is possible on that front.

Thanks,

Ellary Eddy
ellary at enarrative.org
http://www.enarrative.org

Further info:
(800) 562-1638 toll free in US and Canada;
+1 (617) 924-9044 worldwide