[spectre]New Work by Séamas Cain

The Otter Press theotterpress at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 22:26:15 CEST 2003

NEW WORK by Séamas Cain
***********************

"A SCOTTISH CASTLE" - a performance-poem by Séamas Cain - was performed on
March 25th, 2003, at The Forest Arts Centre in Edinburgh, Scotland.  The
script for "A SCOTTISH CASTLE" may be examined at
<http://seamascain.writernetwork.com>.  A photograph of the performance - by
Nicholas Levashov - is included with the script.

"RUINS," - a performance-work by Séamas Cain - was performed in Gaelic on
March 25th, 2003, in the ruins of Holyrood Abbey in Edinburgh, Scotland.
This event was sponsored by A' CHOMHAIRLE NA GÀIDHLIG.  The script for
"RUINS" may be examined at
<http://seamascain.writernetwork.com/photo3.html>.  Seven photographs of the
performance - by Nicholas Levashov - are included with the script.

"WAR," - a performance-poem by Séamas Cain - was performed on March 20th,
2003, in the Courtyard of the British Library at King's Cross in London,
England.  The script for "WAR" may be examined at
<http://seamascain.writernetwork.com/about.html>.

"EL FIN DE LA GUERRA [THE END OF THE WAR]," a performance-work by Séamas
Cain, was performed by Josué Donoso and Jonathan Vivanco at the Festival
SENSORIAL on November 23, 2002 in the barrio Miraflores, Viña del Mar,
Chile.  SENSORIAL was organized by Leonardo González and Mauricio Morales at
the Universidad Andrés Bello of Viña del Mar, in  Chile.  The script for the
performance may be examined at
<http://seamascain.writernetwork.com/photo.html>.  Ten photographs of the
performance - by Alexander Del Re, Alejandra Herrera and Camila Schliebener
- are included with the script.

"CLOCKTOWER," a performance-work by Séamas Cain, was presented on November
5th, 2002 on the steps in front of the Clocktower on the campus of Colby
College in Waterville, Maine.

After the performance, Séamas Cain spoke to an audience in Special
Collections at the Main Library of Colby College on "DISRUPTION AND
INNOVATION IN THE ARTS:  Bern Porter, Dick Higgins and the FLUXUS Movement."
  The script for "CLOCKTOWER" may be examined at
<http://seamascain.writernetwork.com/photo2.html>.  A photograph of the
performance - by Mary Kathleen Cain - is included with the script.

Thirty minimalist poems in French by Séamas Cain are included on the
ARTMAJEUR web-site, at <http://www.artmajeur.com/seamascain>.  ARTMAJEUR -
coordinated by "Skycha" - is based in Montpelier, France.

In January, Séamas Cain joined with Sam Hamill and others to organize the
"Poets Against The War" project in the U.S.  Please examine the link at
<http://poetsagainstthewar.org/download/filec.txt>.  Now, more than 13,000
poets have joined this endeavor!  For additional information, and
description of activities, please examine the web-site at
<http://poetsagainstthewar.org>.

In December, Séamas Cain joined with John Ashbery, Michael Benedikt, J. Karl
Bogartte, Alastair Brotchie, Douglas Campbell, Clayton Eshleman, Lawrence
Ferlinghetti, Philip Lamantia, Nancy J. Peters, Jerome Rothenberg, Ron
Silliman, Susan Sontag, Laurens Vancrevel, Rosmarie Waldrop and others to
protest against the atomization and forced auctioning of the Collections of
André Breton in Paris, France.  For additional information about this
problem, please examine
<http://members.rogers.com/recordism/NoForcedSale.html> and/or
<http://www.zazie.at/BretonForSale/00_WebPages/BretonForSale.htm>.

Séamas Cain participated in the "commonwealth night" of the Commonwealth
Gallery in Madison, Wisconsin on October 4th, 2002.  This multimedia event
was installed and prepared by curator Lys Beckman.

-------------------------

We thank the internet artist-and-writer known as "+lo_y+" for providing a
link to the "Poems of Séamas Cain" web-site.  The web-site of "+lo_y+" may
be explored at <http://www.freewebs.com/lo_y>.  The artwork of "+lo_y+" ~
startling, innovative, and provocative ~ deserves greater attention from the
public.

We thank the "STUDIO VALENTINE" [directed by Virginia Valentine Coles, and
based at Charlottesville, Virginia] for providing a link to the "Poems of
Séamas Cain" web-site.  That link may be examined at
<http://www.studiovalentine.com/poetry.html>.

"Reading Séamas Cain is an extraordinary flight into surrealism," Virginia
V. Coles wrote.  "Words escape me, especially in light of a master
wordsmith.  The only real way I have of exhibiting my love and, more
importantly, respect for his work is to put a link from my site to his.  Our
paths will now be crossed in cyberspace.  Zoom, zoom!"  The "STUDIO
VALENTINE" web-site may be explored at <http://www.studiovalentine.com>.

We thank the "THE POETRY KIT" web-site - directed by Ted Slade, and based at
Surrey in England - for providing a link to the "Poems of Séamas Cain"
web-site.  That link may be examined at
<http://www.poetrykit.org/poets.htm>.  "THE POETRY KIT" - which is one of a
group of literature sites supported by the Arts Council of England - may be
explored at <http://www.poetrykit.org>.

We thank the Revista Virtual de Arte y Cultura "ESCÁNER CULTURAL" [directed
by Isabel Aranda, and based at Santiago in Chile] for providing a link to
the "Daffodils" performance-event on the "Poems of Séamas Cain" web-site.
This link, in Issue Number 43, may be examined at
<http://www.escaner.cl/escaner43/escalink.htm>.
"ESCÁNER CULTURAL" - the most dynamic of the new Latin American
internet-magazines for the arts - may be explored at
<http://www.escaner.cl>.

We thank the Boletín de Arte Correo y Poesía Visual "EL TALLER DEL SOL"
[directed by César Reglero Campos, and based at Tarragona in Spain] for
providing a link to the "Poems of Séamas Cain" web-site.  This link may be
examined at <http://www.boek861.com/malinks.php>.  "EL TALLER DEL SOL" may
be explored at <http://www.boek861.com>.

We thank the International Bureau of Recordist Investigation [directed by
William A. Davison, and based at Toronto, Ontario, Canada] for providing a
link to the "Poems of Séamas Cain" web-site.  This link may be examined at
<http://members.rogers.com/recordism/CD.html>.  The Recordist Bureau itself
may be explored at <http://members.rogers.com/recordism/>.

We thank "MAGNETIC FIELDS, Surrealists in Minnesota" [coordinated by Barrett
John Erickson, with Tom Clarkson and Dale M. Houstman - based in
Minneapolis, Minnesota] for providing two links to the "Poems of Séamas
Cain" web-site.  These links - as parts of the "Blue Feathers Project" - may
be examined at <http://www.magneticfields.org/SurrMN/> and
<http://www.magneticfields.org/affinities/fellow.html>.  The "MAGNETIC
FIELDS" web-site itself may be explored at <http://www.magneticfields.org>.

We thank the "trAce Online Writing Centre" [directed by Helen Whitehead, and
based at the Nottingham Trent University in England] for providing a link to
the "Poems of Séamas Cain" web-site.  That link may be examined at
<http://trace.ntu.ac.uk/traced/hpage.cfm>.  The "trAce Online Writing
Centre" may be explored at <http://trace.ntu.ac.uk>.

We thank the "SENDECKI ARTS AND LITERATURE Directory and Webzine" [directed
by Daniel Sendecki, who was last encountered traveling through Southeast
Asia] for providing a link to the "Poems of Séamas Cain" web-site.  This
link may be examined at <http://www.sendecki.com/links/Poetry/>.  The
"SENDECKI Webzine itself may be explored at <http://www.sendecki.com>.

We thank the Galerie Sterzenbach [directed by Heinz Sterzenbach, and located
in Berlin, Germany] for providing a link to the "Poems of Séamas Cain"
web-site.  This link may be examined at
<http://www.sterzenbach.de/shop-de/openstore.htm?../list/list.php>.  The
Galerie Sterzenbach may be explored at <http://www.sterzenbach.de>.

We thank "IRISHSEARCH" - based in Belfast, Northern Ireland - for providing
a link to the "Poems of Séamas Cain" web-site.  That link may be examined at
<http://www.irishsearch.net/links/Arts_Humanities/Literature/Poetry/>.
"IRISHSEARCH" may be explored at <http://www.IrishSearch.net>.

We thank Miguel of "POESÍASALVAJE" - "SAVAGE POETRY" - in Santander, Spain -
for his powerful example and regular encouragement!  The "POESÍASALVAJE"
web-site - at <http://www.poesiasalvaje.com> - is wondrous and
thought-provoking!

Yours for new creativity,

Rob Fairmichael and Laurens Otter