[spectre] open source multimedia workshops

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Nov 10 16:17:38 CET 2003

Dear Spectres,

I recently finished a series of workshops in southeast Europe on open
source and free software tools for multimedia, and I wanted to share the
documentation here. This series is an ongoing project, initiated by
myself in conjunction with Montevideo [Amsterdam] and several open
source software developers. We hope for more such workshops at
Montevideo, Umatic [Utrecht] and abroad. Please contact me if you would
like further information!
--derek
www.umatic.nl

------------------

Workshop: open source audio tools--free software for free sound
Derek Holzer [umatic.nl] [+ other artists and programmers...inquire for
availablity]

There are many programs for sound and multimedia production, but few of
them can really be customized by the user. Fewer still are free to
download, use and share. Free and open source software provides a real
alternative to expensive commercial software and professional gear. This
workshop covers the free software philosophy, Linux audio basics, sound
recording and editing techniques, and how to program your own music
tools using Pure-Data. Participants use these programs to transform
sounds of voices, instruments and recordings in real time, while at the
same time learning how the computer makes this possible. This workshop
has been held at Montevideo, Amsterdam, as well as in several locations
in Croatia, Bosnia + Herzegovina and Serbia + Montenegro.

First workshop, hosted by Montevideo/Netherlands Media Art Institute:
http://pd.iem.at/pdwiki/index.php?PD%2BOpenSourceworkshop

Workshop series in the Balkans:
http://pd.iem.at/pdwiki/index.php?PD.Balkania